Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-07-2011, 04:47 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
like I said......dead rock, is dead rock...marco rock has been dead for 10000 years......dust cant decompose...it is not ready to sustain a bio-load!.......man......you get tired of seeing people starting tanks with all dead rock, or 100#s dead 20#s live in a 120g, or 30#s of live in 120g, cuz they're going for the "minimalist look" (aka the "Im too cheap to buy rock look"(j/k)) and then see them back on the board later with a bunch of fish, starting threads like..... " I have cyano"......"I have high nitrates".......I have hair algae....."I have dead fish"......start a tank with 100% LR and your supposed to exercise patience......start a tank with dead rock and.......well .....you get the point.....I suppose you could use some kind of bottle to speed up the process if thats what you want, but to me, nuthin will beat good live rock and some patience

couldnt have said it better doug, ok so dead rock is dead its that simple using only dead rock will result in dead fish....seeding takes time a lot of it infact, and you wont sustain a bio load worth diddly...it takes time.using dead rock is great to add some shapes or save some money but you have to have the right amount of liverock plus the right bio load or your just gonna upset the balance and as doug said high nitrates,amonia spikes, algae and phosphates.liverock is often found cheaper than dead rock i mean it goes for 2/lb now lol start off a new tank with all lr,add dry rock to an existing set up is my advise....i wouldnt start a tank with dry rock unless having plenty of experience and patience in the hobby not saying you dont just throwing it out there for anyone to read.dry rock is def good but it needs to be seeded and that takes a fair bit of time the lower amount of lr you have the longer amount of time it will take
Old 09-07-2011, 04:48 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
move that decimal point
.05 ????
Old 09-07-2011, 09:54 AM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

Was going to say. The spike you got would probably have come from critters and insects that got into the rock during transportation, or the water itself. But the amount of bacteria they produced would not be enough to support any fish you put in there at this point. You leave it the way it is and it will never cycle. You really need to add live rock and wait, probably do what a lot of people do to speed it up a bit, get a shrimp from the grocery store and put it in your tank and let it decompose, and wait, much like most people here I am not a fan of using live fish to cycle a tank no matter how hardy they might be. Even with all live rock setup a seasoned reefer will wait for a few months before adding any livestock into their tanks. But just like I said if you only have marco rocks in your setup it will never cycle.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Blom is on a distinguished road

Ok ok doug... very feisty. Not once did I say anything about fish. I was just looking into why I have had a spike in Ammonia followed by Nitrites and Nitrates in the tank after a week. And I disagree about the dead rock being "dead", there would be quite a bit of "life" on it as it did not come in sterilized bags for shipping. No doubt nothing close to the live rock, but just in transport and through the people handling it. I guess that is obvious due to the test reading. All I was looking for was some past experience with the marco rock.

So far though I like the dry rock. Very easy to scape, fairly porous. You cant beat the price (and for a student that is a big deal when it comes to rock). It will of course be slower of a process before it turns into the filtration device that is needed, I was hoping seeding it with some sand from an established tank would help with this. We shall see.

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank

Last edited by Blom; 09-07-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:28 PM

Blom is on a distinguished road

I just read over my initial question and realized that I never really posed it, although I feel I got the answer. I guess my head is still trying to get back into school mode

I was more concerned that the tank had cycled and would stop the process of creating a larger bacteria colony because there was no further die off. The shrimp should take care of this I would assume. But am I correct in assuming that there needs to be a further source of ammonia for the colonies to continue to build? Im no Biology major so I just look at it as a "food" or "fuel" source for the bacteria, the colony will on continue to grow if there is food right?

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank
Old 09-09-2011, 02:38 PM

David Newiger is on a distinguished road

Correct.

I am currently cycling a friends tank with 4 Gallons of blended squid. Slowly adding more and more each time the cycle is complete. We are up to 1c. without any significant rise in ammonia.

Now that's a tasty milk shake.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:44 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newiger View Post
I am currently cycling a friends tank with 4 Gallons of blended squid. Slowly adding more and more each time the cycle is complete. We are up to 1c. without any significant rise in ammonia.
How big is this tank?

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:48 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
ok so dead rock is dead its that simple
Not quite. There is mined rock that is land locked and has never been in the ocean and there is rock that was previously live. Rock that was previously live will leech phosphate and sometimes nitrate and really should be "cooked" to leech these out before starting with any seeding. Dead rock can be cooked in freshwater. Mined rock won't leech anything because there is nothing on or in it that was ever alive.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:51 PM

David Newiger is on a distinguished road

it's a 90G with 70/30 live rock base rock. There's one piece of Tufa rock as well.