Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-12-2017, 04:56 PM

reef-keeper is on a distinguished road
Default Job hunting

I started this as a blog again. Does anybody read Blogs???
Sorry but I have to get this off my chest. I am currently un-employed and have been searching for work since May (not that hard through the summer months). I am a licensed automotive mechanic with over thirty years under my belt. Well I posted a resume on indeed and was called to come for an interview. I went to meet with the person who called me. First I had to fill out a application and security check. Then had to write a couple number reading tests. Fine. Then I was interviewed by a lady and was very pleased. She said that I have to talk with the supervisor please wait in the lobby. I see this young fellow come talk to the lady that I just talked to. He hands her some papers and walks away. The lady come over to me and says "I'm sorry we can't hire you. We only hire people with a high school diploma." I got my license in 1986 with a red seal at a time when I did not need a diploma. I figure that with the 30+ years working on equipment that wouldn't be that big of a deal.
I think that because of the no high school I was refused work was strange. I would like to hear your thoughts on this..
Old 10-13-2017, 02:57 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

I say you could probably find a job at a better firm. One where they would actually take the time to do more than a cursory glance at the first page of your resume.

EDIT: That said, my statement above was a knee-jerk reaction. We don't have complete information. Maybe they decided, via interview, that you wouldn't be a good fit with the company culture? In which case, you and they both dodged a bullet? Maybe? I dunno, just throwing it out there for the sake of discourse.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:04 AM

takeastabatit22 is on a distinguished road

I think too exsperanced. Trying to find competitive wages with exsperance isn't easy and don't forget compatibility

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2017, 06:38 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

My brother spent the last few months unemployed and he is a class one truck driver by trade there is no shortage of work in Prince George for drivers and many trucking companies need drivers however even with my brothers experience driving in northern B.C. and Alberta in deplorable conditions for the oil and gas industry he has the required experience many companies are looking for yet he would be passed over because as it was told to him by one employer that they weee looking for drivers with post secondary education.

How retarded is that. He finally lucked out and is driving again but apparently book smart drivers are preferable to actual real world driving experience
Old 10-13-2017, 03:40 PM

I been in my trade for almost 40 years, never quit a job other than moving for family reasons. I have had only 8 jobs my whole career, you would think that would account for something. Knowledge, team player, steady work ethics. We get jobs for what we know and experiance not becuase I finished high school in 1979. Some employers think education is the way to go. Maybe if I was
doctor, lawyer, even an accountant not a mechanic.. Plus post secondary trade school is getting a degree I'd say...
Old 10-13-2017, 04:26 PM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Maybe take this as an opportunity to start your own thing. Nothing better than being your own boss.

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 10-13-2017, 11:21 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that. I know it's more of a vent but there's alot of reasons why people don't get hired.

Requiring a HS diploma could be legit or it could mean they simply don't think you're a good fit and gave you a cookie cutter answer to avoid any hassle.

It's worth mentioning that they're the ones who called you. A lack of an "Education" section is glaring for anyone who is a hiring manager so I imagine they were okay with you not having your diploma before they called you to come in.

Don't read into it too much. Being out of work anytime is tough; good luck with the search.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:43 AM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road
Default High school diploma.......that’s a joke

I read this today, and I have to shake my head. I’ve been at one of Alberta’s larger colleges for the past 14 years. I’ve seen my fair share of students coming through with a high school diploma, and I can safely say it’s not worth much....
I’m sorry if this offends anyone, but it’s not worth the paper it’s printed on.
I spent the majority of my day at the college doing open house, now aside from these kids being young, they have no idea on what the real world has in store for them. In a world of no child being left behind, we’re setting these kids up for failure.
As far as not getting the job, count your blessings, if the guy in the office is that wet behind the ears, you wouldn’t be happy there. If they can’t recognize the experience base you have and red seal in your pocket....
Just my 2 cents....and maybe because I’m a red seal tradesmen as well, but I feel your pain.

Last edited by The Codfather; 10-14-2017 at 04:52 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:56 AM

We I was in the first interview the person I was talking to said that I was the perfect fit due to my experience and that no one comes even close. Then she left and handed over the paperwork to the dept supervisor. Then after about 5 min of waiting this runny nose ( meaning this kid was no older that 25 - 30)come in and tells her that he won’t hire me bescuse I didn’t have a diploma. Yes I was close enough to hear that conversation. When she walked over and told me what he said as she shook her head. Told me good luck. I just laughed and “for real???” And left it at that. Any way I do have a small business that helps out a little bite, work out of my garage.

Last edited by reef-keeper; 10-15-2017 at 03:11 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:43 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

It sucks big time that they pass you over because of a basically worthless piece of paper that you get from a university or college.

My employer went through that phase a few years ago when the Vice President of the company decided that having a grade 12 education wasn’t good enough and impilmented a hiring policy that they would hire those with post secondary education over people with actual experience. Turns out that his idea backfired on him big time not only were we not getting people those that were hired for the most part didn’t last very long because even though they were well paid they didn’t want to do work not in their field of expertise.

Ever since that post secondary clause was taken out of the primary hiring wording we have actually been able to hire people who are not afraid to get their hands dirty.

It is sad though that more and more employers value post secondary education over actual experience in today’s job market

I hope that things will work out for you in the long run