Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-08-2017, 10:09 PM

Potatohead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQsmooth View Post
You sure? 1100 gph is around 5x and that's bare minimum. It's really on the edge. I don't think it would work
I usually shoot for 4-5x, more than that is fine but it might be a little bit of old school thinking. I don't know if it really matters, if water goes through the sump twice as fast but is only skimmed or goes through reactors half as much each time, it's the same end result either way. Higher turnover does put more through your filter socks though.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:10 PM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

Some of the newer 'systems' suggest higher sump turnover, Triton, Zeovit, not sure why.

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:15 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQsmooth View Post
You sure? 1100 gph is around 5x and that's bare minimum. It's really on the edge. I don't think it would work.

Yes, it's on a 40" stand already.
Bummer it's already on a stand!

I'd be happy with 1100 gph on your tank. I wouldn't call it bare minimum at all. Are you doing a full siphon drain like Herbie or Bean? If so, you don't want to tee the pump off for anything else anyway.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:27 AM

GQsmooth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Bummer it's already on a stand!

I'd be happy with 1100 gph on your tank. I wouldn't call it bare minimum at all. Are you doing a full siphon drain like Herbie or Bean? If so, you don't want to tee the pump off for anything else anyway.
It will be a bean setup
Old 01-09-2017, 05:36 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Have you looked into the Jebao DC return pumps. I have been looking at them for my 150g build.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:20 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I've been running my basement sump now for almost 6 years, here's the pumps I've tried:
Pump 1 - Laguna Max flo 2900 pond pump - First SW tank I ever set up. Ran my 90 gallon with about 10' of head no problem - had to deal with a bit of vibration
Pump 2 - Added another tank to the system and wanted a common sump. Went to an external Reeflo Hammerhead. Also ran really well, also had vibration issues, but that was a fairly minor fix
Pump 3 - Upgraded the 2 tanks to a single 210 gallon - built the DT stand a bit higher and moved the sump into a dedicated sump room. Ended up with closer to 13' of head and over 30' horizontal run by the time it was all done. Ordered 2 RLSS Waveline 12000's - Worst money I ever spent and even worse customer service - these pumps DO NOT WORK AS STATED on high head systems. Got so ticked off to get ANY flow, I had to throw my original Laguna Max Flo 2900 (which I still had sitting around as a back up) onto the system and it is still running to this day. Never replaced any impellers, seals or anything yet! But I'm a bit of a flow hog so I purchased another one and have 2 running side by side. Each pump supplies separate piping - one to the front of the tank, the other to the back.