Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-10-2015, 03:35 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road
Default Good Golly Miss Molly

Hey who's had actual experience keeping mollies in a reef tank? My back wall is too hard to keep nice and shiny black. Looking to see if a few of these will help me from getting a wet armpit and a pi$$ed off wife
Old 10-10-2015, 03:45 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I read a few articles on acclimating guppies, I imagine it would be the same. Google is your friend here
Old 10-10-2015, 03:54 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Tried once and failed. Drip acclimated for 3 hours and lasted about an hour before it was eaten by a predatory worm, I think they much prefer lower salinity than we keep our tanks at, more like brackish... But it has been done sooo maybe someone else here has had success??
Old 10-10-2015, 03:55 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Guppies take days or longer to switch over, so 3 hours for mollies probably wouldn't work.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Google is your friend here
Apparently so haha
Old 10-10-2015, 04:02 AM

Well I gonna try anyways. I'll keep you posted when I get around to trying
Old 10-10-2015, 04:38 AM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

i had some for white awhile

buy 10
drop them in
most of them will survive
Old 10-10-2015, 02:23 PM

theokie is on a distinguished road

I currently have 4 that I have had for over 6 months now, dalmatian and sailfin seem to acclimate better then some of the more "designer" types. though I did have one black one survive. I don't have trouble with acclimating them to saltwater, the trouble I have is keeping them from going over the overflow at night, as they sleep right up at the surface.

Initially they were really rasping the glass and rocks all the time, but now they have gotten lazy and only eat nori and other prepared foods, only occasionally going after patches of algae. My perc clown pair have a vendetta out for them, as they all are missing the lower half of their tails due to clown fish attacks.

After a rough week or two they did adapt to the higher flow of my SPS system, and I even have a pair that holds their own with my triggers and tangs in my 200 gallon.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:58 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theokie View Post
I currently have 4 that I have had for over 6 months now, dalmatian and sailfin seem to acclimate better then some of the more "designer" types. though I did have one black one survive. I don't have trouble with acclimating them to saltwater, the trouble I have is keeping them from going over the overflow at night, as they sleep right up at the surface.

Initially they were really rasping the glass and rocks all the time, but now they have gotten lazy and only eat nori and other prepared foods, only occasionally going after patches of algae. My perc clown pair have a vendetta out for them, as they all are missing the lower half of their tails due to clown fish attacks.

After a rough week or two they did adapt to the higher flow of my SPS system, and I even have a pair that holds their own with my triggers and tangs in my 200 gallon.
So how long does it take to acclimatize them?
What is the procedure that you use?
Thanks
Old 10-11-2015, 02:53 PM

theokie is on a distinguished road

I drip them, via a fast drip, so that they end up at full strength sea water in about 2 hours.... I've just dumped them in before as well and really didn't see any ill effect, but I think a fast drip is probably better. These are naturally brackish fish, they move between fresh and salt at the river mouths and swamps.