Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-12-2019, 02:54 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Wink

Not sure if the link will work? But a short video of the active fish in the reef.

https://imgur.com/a/xXYqt5K
Old 11-17-2019, 05:03 PM

Question Algae or Cyano Bloom?

Update:

I’m not sure what is going on currently in my tank. I have been battling an algae or Cyano bloom that happened last month. The only thing that changed in the tank was my Neptune ATK crapping out and salinity rising to 1.026 from 1.025. Lost a couple of the more sensitive SPS pieces due to the salinity swing. The ATK would work, then stop, then work and eventually kicked the dust. I then manually topped up before and after my work shift (I believe this constant swing killed SPS).

I since got a brand new Tunze osmolator and salinity has been rock solid. I have continued my biweekly 10% WC. This stuff will be siphoned out and creep back over the next couple days. I think it may be Cyano, Tang’s will sometimes pick at it but it seems more on the slimy side. It is covering most of the sand Bed and rocks. Recently it has been covering most my Zoas and SPS.

Anyone able to help me out on identifying this stuff!!?

Old 11-21-2019, 08:13 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear - losses are no fun.

I just had similar experience. I bought an ATO secondhand early this year but still haven’t set it up I still top off by hand twice a day. When central heating kicked in recently, evaporation increased & a couple of SPS had some STN. My salinity was too high & the swing was a bit wide. It was just a blip though & they are recovering fast. Maybe my poor coral are used to my antiquated system? Lol

I had a bit of that green stuff in previous tank & thought it was due to high nutrients?
Old 11-21-2019, 08:42 PM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol
bauder1986 is on a distinguished road

Now that I think about it, it looks like bubble algae. If it is then prepare for battle. Use emerald or ruby crabs or rabbitfish or juvenile emeralds(one per handful of algae)

Now remove the algae manually also. And carefully. Before the bubbles burst and spread spores throughout the tank and make it harder to flush out.

Also for extremes, use a UV sterilizer as well. But if you do so prepare to dose your tank with Seed bacteria as well because UV sterilizers kill all bacteria and algae spores.

If you're running a refugium then double check to make sure that there's a copeopod population going on in there. They eat up lots of micro sized particles as well that could be causing a bacteria algae break out. If you don't have a copeopod population in the refuge then add some fuge mud or sand or LR rubble to the bottom of the refuge and stop flow to the refuge and add some copeopods to the system with some phytoplankton to feed them. Should be able to pick that up at your LFS.

Wash rinse and repeat. Try and keep the algae from smothering your coral. Also watch your PH like a hawk. These algaes love O2 and will devour whatever is in the tank for O2. Consider increasing your tanks dissolved O2 if the pH drops to much.

That's all I got for now. Good luck man
Old 11-21-2019, 08:44 PM

Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol
bauder1986 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
Not sure if the link will work? But a short video of the active fish in the reef.

https://imgur.com/a/xXYqt5K
Oh really nice btw!
Old 01-03-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
Sorry to hear - losses are no fun.

I just had similar experience. I bought an ATO secondhand early this year but still haven’t set it up I still top off by hand twice a day. When central heating kicked in recently, evaporation increased & a couple of SPS had some STN. My salinity was too high & the swing was a bit wide. It was just a blip though & they are recovering fast. Maybe my poor coral are used to my antiquated system? Lol

I had a bit of that green stuff in previous tank & thought it was due to high nutrients?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauder1986 View Post
Now that I think about it, it looks like bubble algae. If it is then prepare for battle. Use emerald or ruby crabs or rabbitfish or juvenile emeralds(one per handful of algae)

Now remove the algae manually also. And carefully. Before the bubbles burst and spread spores throughout the tank and make it harder to flush out.

Also for extremes, use a UV sterilizer as well. But if you do so prepare to dose your tank with Seed bacteria as well because UV sterilizers kill all bacteria and algae spores.

If you're running a refugium then double check to make sure that there's a copeopod population going on in there. They eat up lots of micro sized particles as well that could be causing a bacteria algae break out. If you don't have a copeopod population in the refuge then add some fuge mud or sand or LR rubble to the bottom of the refuge and stop flow to the refuge and add some copeopods to the system with some phytoplankton to feed them. Should be able to pick that up at your LFS.

Wash rinse and repeat. Try and keep the algae from smothering your coral. Also watch your PH like a hawk. These algaes love O2 and will devour whatever is in the tank for O2. Consider increasing your tanks dissolved O2 if the pH drops to much.

That's all I got for now. Good luck man

Thanks for the replies guys! Poof! Like that this stuff was gone in a couple days. My guess is maybe a green Cyano that came and gone. Who knows, everything has perked up despite some losses of the SPS. Darn ATO fail pushed my buttons.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:25 PM

Razor Ramon is on a distinguished road

Hi it’s Cynao for sure , you have gotten it from something from another tank ,frag plug . Been a bacteria it’s compeating with the good bacteria . It’s easy one to beat, manually remove as much as you can .Chang /add flow to areas use chemiclean as directed . Make sure you add air to the tank and let your skimmer overflow to make sure all equipment gets the dose of chemiclean. Remove carbon added airation its very important while the Medicean is in use.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:55 PM

saltynuts is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to saltynuts

Great to see the tank getting better. I’ll have some frags in the next couple weeks I can bring you out
euro-reef rs100.
no more school so i,ll be able to keep this one!
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61329
Old 03-29-2020, 10:24 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Nice tank brother looks great love the colors.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
Nice tank brother looks great love the colors.
Thanks! Much appreciated. Luckily my tank is bouncing back and in the process of sourcing out a couple test acros. If all goes well, I will work at filling it back up with sticks

Tags
build, reef tank, salt water aquarium, sps, tank build