Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 05-02-2014, 05:53 PM

EdsonFOWLR is on a distinguished road
Default Water Parameters?

Well I think I finally got my water parameters under control and going in the right direction. I am doing a FOWLR tank, but want to add a few inverts for a clean up crew, as well as my tank is cycling but I think it is almost done. What I am asking is based on the following readings do you think my tank is or almost is cycled out and what can/should I change. Here go's: Temp:80F, PH: 8.0-8.1, Nitrates 5, Nitrites 0.3, Salinity 1.024, Phosphate 0, Ammonia 0, Calcium 500+, Alkalinity 140?. Also should I use activated carbon in my sump or not bother?
Old 05-02-2014, 06:18 PM

canadianbudz604 is on a distinguished road
Default Fowlr

I would wait until nitrites read .zero. And there's nothing wrong with using a little carbon in your sump just put it In an area with decent flow
Old 05-02-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbudz604 View Post
I would wait until nitrites read .zero. And there's nothing wrong with using a little carbon in your sump just put it In an area with decent flow
That's what I was going to do, just wanted to know if what I thought (that the tank is almost cycled out) was going on. I figured I probily have another week before its done, but atleast it going in the right direction now.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:18 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

What brand of salt are you using? The calcium is high and the alkalinity is borderline low. In a FOWLR tank it doesn't matter much, but I'm curious why it is out of balance so far. People usually use Instant Ocean for FOWLR tanks and it would then have calcium around 380 ppm and alkalinity around 8-9 dKH (145 - 165 ppm).

Nitrite isn't toxic in saltwater tanks like it is in freshwater, so you can go ahead and add a cleanup crew. I would suggest you only add a few at a time depending on your tank size. Usually clean up crew "packages" are GROSSLY over-stocked. If you plan on stocking your tank with predatory fish like Triggers, Puffers, and Lionfish then I would suggest you buy large Trochus or Turbo Snails as they will usually survive. Small snails, hermits, and shrimp will be a snack for predatory fish. Try stocking Trochus and Turbo snails about one per 10 gallons, but start with one per 20 gallons and see how they do. It's easy to add snails, but it sucks to see them die from starvation.

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:40 PM

The calcium is probily high because I dosed with purple tech to get my coralline algiie to start growing more. I was just going to start the tank with some captive breed clowns and a sandsifting goby, and for inverts 2 peppermint shrimp, some hermit crabs and a few snails. I wasent going to stock any lion fish, triggers or puffers as they would probily eat my cleanup crew and probily the clowns.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:12 AM

jazzywashbuckler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
What brand of salt are you using? The calcium is high and the alkalinity is borderline low. In a FOWLR tank it doesn't matter much, but I'm curious why it is out of balance so far. People usually use Instant Ocean for FOWLR tanks and it would then have calcium around 380 ppm and alkalinity around 8-9 dKH (145 - 165 ppm).

Nitrite isn't toxic in saltwater tanks like it is in freshwater, so you can go ahead and add a cleanup crew. I would suggest you only add a few at a time depending on your tank size. Usually clean up crew "packages" are GROSSLY over-stocked. If you plan on stocking your tank with predatory fish like Triggers, Puffers, and Lionfish then I would suggest you buy large Trochus or Turbo Snails as they will usually survive. Small snails, hermits, and shrimp will be a snack for predatory fish. Try stocking Trochus and Turbo snails about one per 10 gallons, but start with one per 20 gallons and see how they do. It's easy to add snails, but it sucks to see them die from starvation.
Interesting, Instant ocean is what I have I'm starting FOWLR but then I'm going reef. Should I still use instant ocean then or should I use something else. What do ya recommend ? . Cheers