Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 02-15-2016, 01:17 AM

moosehead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
I have the canon 60mm f2.8 macro lense. Love it.
Had it for years now and it still shoots like new. Well worth it. If i had the extra cash at the time i woulda got the 100mm but the 60 is still great.
IL check that out thanks alot
Old 02-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjboy View Post
One of the members ( see link for his sample shots: https://www.flickr.com/photos/137833...4/23368905422/ ) uses a Olympus TG-4 ( for around $329) underwater cable camera is possibility with it)that is cheaper than a macro lens which starts at $5XX for a macro 60mm new, or around $3XX user, so that might be an option too.

msjboy
Ya, I just bought one, listed my SLR for sale. I love this little thing Of course nobody wants my 7 yr old Nikon D40, so I'll have to just give it to my kid -lol
Old 02-15-2016, 03:10 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Ya, I just bought one, listed my SLR for sale. I love this little thing Of course nobody wants my 7 yr old Nikon D40, so I'll have to just give it to my kid -lol
You might want to hang onto your D40, just for outside FTS pics. I have the earlier model TG-2, and while it is great for in tank underwater water shots, I could not for the life of me get a good FTS. Maybe it is just me...

But the problem I had is that the TG-2 (and I think the later models are the same) have no manual focus setting, and I could not get good focus on corals when the pic was taken through the glass.

Also a tip (my apologies if this is old hat to you) is to use the manual white balance setting to get accurate colour (instead of blue dominant). I just pointed the camera to a white sand part in the tank and registered that for a setting. Colours would then come out near perfect. Sometimes still needed to play around a bit with exposure, flash or no flash, but most times pics were pretty easy to get near perfect.

I used this camera for snorkeling in Hawaii (mounted on a selfie stick), too, and worked great with vids, too.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:36 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Walter, I found that I never really use the SLR, too bulky to carry around on holidays, etc.
I'll try a FTS today with the new one, I suspect it's fine. I did a couple shots through the glass as well, they focused fine. Not real sure how that all works.

I fought with the WB using a white plastic sheet, no luck. Pointed at the sand, bingo I like that it has the separate custom WB, I don't have to mess around with it each time. I'm going on vacation in a couple of weeks, so I'll get to try it out on a variety of shots. Currently I use my phone over the SLR. I've had the Nikon 6 or 7 years, I maybe have 500 shutter clicks on it.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:42 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

It might have to do with my acrylic pane. It is scratched, and coralline algae loves it. So the auto focus tends to pick it instead of the corals.