Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 02-14-2017, 02:15 PM

amberc12 is on a distinguished road

Breathing in paper bag now... Thanks all. I would like to say I am closer to a decision, really just dont want to regret whatever decision in a year...

Ill probably get laughed at...but I noticed just the big name leds mentioned, someone mentioned to me they liked the ocean revive cheapies...anyone heard of them?
Old 02-14-2017, 03:41 PM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road

We can light that with LED's for under $1500. Contact us https://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-s...tion=contactus

Thanks!

http://www.reefsupplies.ca
Old 02-14-2017, 04:24 PM

Ace Storman is on a distinguished road

I did some research in lighting once I decided to go the LED route.

Taking account that if you go the T5 HO route, take the initial cost of the fixture, you will have to replace 32 lamps (16 x 2) annually. Ballasts last only so long then you will probably have to replace some of them as well. Then there is power consumption. At BC Hydro's Tier 2 pricing TODAY at around 13 cents per KWH, do the math and factor that in as well. When you add this all up as annual cost....well it adds up quickly. Heat output on a multi bulb setup is also a consideration and you may or my not have to add a chiller to keep the tank at the appropriate temperature.

Now lets go the route of XR30w Gen4 Pro Radions (as I did). Yes, the initial cost is up there but there will be NO Lamp replacement, NO additional ballasts to worry about, they are as energy efficient as LED lights get these days and heat output is not an issue. The manufactures spec claims coverage is 32" x 32", but in reality, I would calculate coverage as 24 " x 24". So given that, I would look at 4, possibly 5 Radions for an 8 foot tank. With 8 channel of Led tuning per lamp, the light output is just about endless, sun up, sundown, moonlight, etc.

There a re group buy's to be had out there, you just have to go digging for them.

There is a saying out there, which in this case I firmly believe in. "You can pay me now, or pay me later, but you are going to pay me".

Hope my 2 cents helps in your decision...