Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 PM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road
Default Toronto LFS?

Hello everyone. I am visiting Toronto in July and was wondering if there were any LFS there that I should hit up? We have a great LFS here in JL but that's about it IMO. I don't mind driving around the GTA area to see some nice LFS.
Also, do vendors like MJC, Frag Cave let people come in to see their set up and shop for frags in person?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 PM

DAVE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunggi74 View Post
Hello everyone. I am visiting Toronto in July and was wondering if there were any LFS there that I should hit up? We have a great LFS here in JL but that's about it IMO. I don't mind driving around the GTA area to see some nice LFS.
Also, do vendors like MJC, Frag Cave let people come in to see their set up and shop for frags in person?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Yup, they will all let you come by and take a look. TO is the mecca for corals in Canada, you won't find a better selection and prices in such a concentrated area.

Retail stores

Aquatic Kingdom
Reef Raft (he will open for you, but you will have to call)
Rivers2Oceans
Dragon Aquarium
Canada Corals

All those stores are within 5-10minutes of each other

There is also

Advanced Reef Aquatics
SUM
NAFB
Coral Reef Shop

They are just on the outskirts of TO, but worth the drive. All the stores are 1 hour or less from Pearson Airport

Last edited by DAVE; 01-21-2014 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Forgot about Canada Corals
Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Not sure but I don't think the airlines will take corals back in as part of your luggage allowance. Something about sw and metal planes. Years ago, they made my friend use a shipping company to send her stuff back. You should check before making purchases. If you are allowed and are willing to bring back some for fellow Lower Mainlanders, please let me know
Old 01-21-2014, 10:53 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

I would go as far as to say North America. California has been buying corals from us for years. We are very fortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrologist View Post
TO is the mecca for corals in Canada, you won't find a better selection and prices in such a concentrated area.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfrags View Post
I would go as far as to say North America. California has been buying corals from us for years. We are very fortunate.

Ya, it goes back and forth, RR deserves most (if not all) of the credit, they are the ones that bring in the corals the US wants. Bigger market in the US so they pay the higher prices.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:21 PM

NickC is on a distinguished road

Cool I didnt even know canada corals was based out of toronto. Thank you. Great list of stores you put. I would also check out fragbox as well as mjc. Also see if you can check out reef aquatica. Its online but theyll let you visit. Hands down one of the craziest collections of clownfish you will see. He has so many varieties its so cool to see them in person.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2014, 04:25 AM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Dave, I'm going to print that list you put up and mark all the LFS on my map. Question, what is SUM and NAFB? I know we will be heading out to Niagra during the visit and Hamilton is on the way

I will have to get a hold of MJC and the other vendors to see where they are and what times are good for them.

As for bringing corals back. If I see something I absolutely have to have, I'll buy and have vendor ship to Vancouver I guess. My sister and her husband are both customs agents so I will have to ask them what I can and cannot bring on a plane with me back. He's a supervisor at Pearson so maybe he could help me out

If it turns out that I can bring certain corals back, I'll be sure to post on this thread.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunggi74 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Dave, I'm going to print that list you put up and mark all the LFS on my map. Question, what is SUM and NAFB? I know we will be heading out to Niagra during the visit and Hamilton is on the way

I will have to get a hold of MJC and the other vendors to see where they are and what times are good for them.

As for bringing corals back. If I see something I absolutely have to have, I'll buy and have vendor ship to Vancouver I guess. My sister and her husband are both customs agents so I will have to ask them what I can and cannot bring on a plane with me back. He's a supervisor at Pearson so maybe he could help me out

If it turns out that I can bring certain corals back, I'll be sure to post on this thread.
SUM = Sea U Marine (located in Markham)
NAFB = North American Fish Breeders (located in Scarborough)

Both are worth the visit, as they are probably the cheapest places to purchase corals/fish. They don't necessarily have the high end, ultra pieces (these are fast picked over within the first hours of a new shipment), but there is always a gem or two that can be found and prices are always good.

If you are heading to Niagara, there is definitely a sleeper store in Hamilton (2 min off the QEW), I won't say much about this guy, but I don't think you will be disappointment with a visit
Old 01-22-2014, 12:38 PM

Taipan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Tour Guide.....

IF our schedules coincide; I'd be glad to play tour guide for you and we can make a roadtrip out of it. All the stores Hydrologist has mentioned are worth visiting. We will of course....visit that funny fella in the Hamilton/Niagara area (bring your sunglasses - corals are blinding).

I've been fortunate to meet a few CanReef members in the past. It's always nice to meet and chat with a fellow hobbyist.

I'll try my best and have the stores open for you
Old 01-22-2014, 02:21 PM

Spyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipan View Post
IF our schedules coincide; I'd be glad to play tour guide for you and we can make a roadtrip out of it. All the stores Hydrologist has mentioned are worth visiting. We will of course....visit that funny fella in the Hamilton/Niagara area (bring your sunglasses - corals are blinding).

I've been fortunate to meet a few CanReef members in the past. It's always nice to meet and chat with a fellow hobbyist.

I'll try my best and have the stores open for you

Nice offer! You should be collecting commission! lol.