Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-20-2013, 12:32 AM

geweagle is on a distinguished road
Default Tank EULOGY from a beginner

Hello all,

I thought I would share my experiences to date, which have been far from good and frustratating.

Lots of dollars spent
Lost some lovely fish, yellow tang, bicoloured angel, and checkered butterfly

Far from over and very frustrated. If things do not improved I may give up on salt water.

To start a bit of introduction. I am far from new to keeping fish. I have had many fresh water fish for many years with great success. I decided to change to salt water because of the wonderful diversity and rich colours. My family have alway enjoyed viewing a good salt water tank. I was told that the hobby has improved dramatically.

So I retired my fresh water system and moved to salt. An 80 gal bow faced tank. $$$$$ later now with a HOB skimmer, live rock and sand to start. Cleaned the tank with vingear and rinsed well before I put anything in. A shop provided me with their salt water for the first fill to save me some issues with cycling the tank.

Even so I set the tank up with live rock and sand and left it for a few weeks before getting any livestock. Started with custodians and a couple clowns because they are very tough little fish. Everything was great! So I went a little further.

Then the bad stuff started. I seemed to get all the bad stuff. First it was some Aiptasis. Got a couple pepperment shrimp. They cleaned it up except one big one which I got with a shot of vingear. Problem solved. Not bad I thought.

So everything looked good so I got some more fish. I started to do water changes on a regular bases (5-10 gal) every few days. I do not have a RO/DI system (more $$$$$) so I used tap. Still not to bad, I thought, at least for fish.

Talked and read a lot and found I needed more light. I was only using a standard 4ft fluorescent. So $$$$ later and I bought an Evergrow fixture. May not be top of the line but not bad, and great programming for day cycle. Spectral range was OK. So OK and moved forward.

SO now again tank looked great and I have a yellow tang and a bicoloured angel. Also got a green star palp which is suppose to be very tough. No coral yet. I was warned to wait for a while, becasue phosphate may be high.

They were fine so I bought a checkered butterfly fish.

Little while later (like 1 week) I got a green bubble anenome for the clowns. They did not like him and so never associated. Anemone kept moving in the tank. Then one night it got into the skimmer intake. I had to extract it, but of course it was hurt. Put it in a dark cave spot so he would heal. Tang started to pick at it. Next thing the tang is belly up on the sand. Good bye to the tang. And the anemone did end up dieing too.

Checked the Phosphate, ammmonia, nitrite, and nitrates because everyone told me too. Phosphate was suoppose to be bad for corals that I wanted later and may lead to algae. Nitrates did not seem to be a problem other than maybe alage. Of course phosphate was high (almost 2 ppm). everything else seem to be near zero. Tap water was 0.1ppm. So I started more frequent water changes. Nothing was happening. So I put a hang on the back flow through filter and got Phos-X (suggested by a shop). Based on the directions added the necessary amount and started to see phosphate drop. But only down to just under 1.0 ppm. So replaced the phos-X with new and added more. Got it down to 0.5 ppm. After a whole bag (more $$$) and more water changes the phosphate would not drop more. Shops said it is leaching from the live rock. I did not have enough fish or feeding too much to be a big contribution.

Then more trouble. That horrible red algae hair started growing on everything. Cleaned and cleaned but got worse and could not get phosphate down. I was told I need to be at lest below 0.2 ppm PO4. Nitrates were low. And to drop the photo period which I did.

So what now? more reading!! And went to another well reviewed shop in Vancouver. Yup I live in Edm (more $$$) and talked about where I was. Got a phosphate reactor, granular iron oxide, a sugar? polymer (for nitrate), and Lanthanum chloride. ($$$) Thought great now I have some tools to get the phosphate down and get rid of the red mess.

Dosed as the direction with lanthanum chloride, and set up the PO4 reactor with half the suggested granular iron oxide. Everything looked great the next day the phosphates were down to 0.2 ppm. Another day dose of lanthanum chloride and down to 0.1 ppm. So I stopped that and let the reactor do its work. It held the phosphates but not dropping so I added a little more iron oxide and got the sugar polymer going in the skimmer as suggested. Phosphates droped to around 0.05ppm. I thought great now the tank should clean up and maybe I can get into corals. So I stopped water changes. A few days later I went out to look for some leather corals and maybe another tang.

Also notice I was a little low on salinity at 28 ppt, so I raised it to 30 ppt. Did not want to go to high to fast. I was told it should be at 35 ppt.

Then trouble again. The green star palp were closed up almost disappeared. What happened? They are so tough everyone said! Then I could not find the bi-coloured angel. Well after a lot of looking I found the bones. So sad. So I got worried and started to change the water again frequently, but kept at 30 ppt. Phospahtes remained at <0.1 ppm. The green star palp started to show up a little. Went out and bought another yellow tang. The phosphates remained at <0.1 ppm and the red alge was going away. Iron oxide reactor still running but no new iron oxide added. I was told it should be good for several months.

Well last night the checkered Butterfly fish died! The green star palp are still very little.

So what happened? I point to the Lanthanum chloride. But I will never be sure because I added that and the phosphate reactor at the same time.

So now I have the new yellow tang only. And all through this the two little clown fish are doing great.

So for all you people starting in this hobby, be prepared to spend lots of money. Advice is plenty but good advice maybe not. Start slowly! I would have said I was an experience fish caretaker, but this has been a rough ride. I thought I was doing everything correct, and did so slowly. But now I am not sure. I think I will change the water a few more times and just wait to see if the fish in the tank live. If they do, maybe I will continue but I sure have spent a lot of money and I'm very frustrated.

For all you experts, if you read this and I did something terribly wrong I sure would like to know. I am not afraid to learn.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Was this new rock? Not sure why you got so much PO4 so soon. Lights probably didn't help with algae. Anemones always get sucked into pumps. Fact of life Your clowns seldom approve of anemone.
Water changes every few days is a bit overkill. Larger less frequent are better. Also better than adding lots of removers and adders and takerawayers.
Butterflies are delicate, often end up dying.
I'd get a RO unit, do water changes every 2 weeks. 25% or more. I like to run carbon, some don't. I don't use any other filter media. Get a better light, not sure I'd trust that one. Not enough for coral, and probably good at growing algae. Not sure what kind of skimmer you have, suspect it's not good enough. Generally "not bad, but ok" will not be enough for a reef.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:37 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

What was the time frame for all of this? Aside from waiting a few weeks before adding your first critters. The reason I ask is because your "problems" are very common challenges that ALL salt water hobbyists encounter at some stage and to various degrees. Ultimately we have all poured the same amount of time and money into the hobby to battle these challenges. It sounds like you were suggested all the proper remedies. Although, I have no experience with lanthium chloride. We've all had to figure out the appropriate lighting for our setups, the best way for us to battle phosphates, nitrates, anemone suicides, etc.

I guess what I'm getting at is that your journey sounds quite common. I think what you're truly battling is trying to stabilize your tank. All new tanks need To achieve a level of stabilization to be successful. Unfortunately this is quite challenging, as you've discovered, if you are trying to battle various nuisances. One suggestion I would make is whenever you are attacking something, try to limit yourself to one solution at a time. I would not have recommend you dose lanthium while bringing gfo AND bioPellets all online at the same time.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:49 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

i think it was a bit to much too fast saltwater is about slow changes so they are not noticable to your live stock , i agree starting with LC was a bad idea as well.

fact is this is easily fixable by simply stop spending and let your tank stabilize , do your reg water changes and do not feed the tank , if you have fish left throw them some pellets every other day but thats it.

turn your lights back to just 4-5hrs a day.

and thats it go have some fun dont but buy any livestock pretend your tank doesnt exist it doesnt need us in it and changing things every other day remeber alot of what your trying to keep is delicate. if you come back to your tank in a month to a month and a half this will resolve its self if you take care of a couple of things now.

run some carbon , do a large water change to correct whats wrong now and then let it stabilize.

for every action is a reaction they arnt always immediate and so they tend to snowball slowly in the first few months.

test your water or bring to a lfs

theres def a couple of things that will help your journey like a decent skimmer,powerheads and quality salt etc.

i know youve spent a bunch on the hobby but i run a couple tanks that are basic as it gets , no fish,reg water changes and no skimmer,expensive powerheads etc. it can be done you just have to pace yourself a bit more and add less overall to your system unless its absolutely needed.

do a water test once every week or two to get an idea whats happening but if i were you i would set my tank in crusie control and come back to see it in a month.

post your questions here , we are all very knowlegeable and are the poeple you should be asking for advice...were not selling you anything
Old 08-20-2013, 01:54 AM

geweagle is on a distinguished road

Brad,

Thank you.

Wish a few more had said these.

First, second hand rock. At $10.00 lb for new hard to handle.

Anemones, yes I agree and wish I had known before.

Water changes were an act of desperation. Did not know what to do, with so many suggestions. I agree, removal is the way to go, so carbon is a good idea. Reactive chemistry can be trouble and bite you later, like me. Bottom line remove what is the problem. You really cannot react it and remove from the system.

Lesson learned would be to get live rock and sand only. Check chemistry and change the water until the chemistry was good. Use carbon to clean it up as a supplement to clean it up. No light until chemistry is OK so you do not have algae

Light is a cost only issue. It was a reasonable option for the cost. Spending $1000 + was just out of the question. I think if the phosphate was under control I would not have had the alge outbreak.

RO unit is nice but expensive for starting. Lesson learned not an option but more a requirement for salt water systems. Add another few hundread to your setup cost.

Skimmer, is a second hand HK something. It seemed to skim well and made good skimate. But yes a sump and good skimmer is better if you want to spend the cash and have an overflow tank. I did not.

Would have been nice if I was warned about the butterfly fish and the trouble anemones can be. When I read threads it is mixed.

So over all I would say I am much more informed than before and have had first hand experience in what can go wrong.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 AM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Well you got advise from the big three. All trustworthy people to ask Qs
Old 08-20-2013, 03:12 AM

IanWR is on a distinguished road

Geweagle,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. All of us who are starting tanks are in the same boat - getting a lot of advice (some of it conflicting), trying as best we can, and attempting to avoid emptying the bank account. Hopefully it's not actually a eulogy, but just a pause to take stock. I look forward to seeing how this turns out. Keep us posted!

- Ian
Old 08-20-2013, 03:14 AM
91Atrac

Been there done that man! Haven't had red hair algae but cyano is common mistake we do as beginners. Phosphates do cause algae issues and I love and bide by natural so water changes or macro/plants to help control the nitrates, and all those things so a mangrove garden or refugium is king!

Some of the things I think you may have jump guns with like reactors but that's just me. Keep it simple and move on.

I don't know what 30ppt is...? I personally prefer the 1.024 for salinity. .025 is nice too. I have a friend who has his low at about .021 cuz he says his coral grow faster that way lol. To each there own HAHAHHAHA!

Lighting is usually how I look at it is 2-3watts per gallon.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Geweagle

The biggest and hardest thing to do in this hobby is to be patient it can take a few weeks to a month or more for stuff cycle and it can be annoying as hell watching a virtually empty tank do next to nothing and the itch to put something in there can be unbearable but almost any SW person will tell you patience is a virtue. It will save you time, money and grief in the long run

RO units can be expensive but J&L aquatics sells a decent one for relatively cheap which I use and it does fine and you can pick up spare filters for any RO unit at almost any place where bulk water is sold

RO UNIT link
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/vt...+-+100GPD.html

Good site to visit for most fish and coral needs is liveaquaria its almost the bible for SW hobbyists
http://www.liveaquaria.com/

Hang in there and if your not sure ask questions here first before going to a LFS the knowledge base here is second to none and nobody will try to steer you wrong

Last edited by Dearth; 08-20-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM

JmeJReefer is on a distinguished road

U can get R/O water from most grocery stores. I get mine from save-on foods for now.
Tap water is a problem.
Do you use a hydrometer or refractometer? Ur salinity might be out if u use the first.
Wait. N wait. N wait.
Do you run a sump or canister filter, hob filter etc.? Canister filters r notorious nutrient creators.