Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-08-2013, 05:52 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
So we always hear the rules about Tangs and tank size, because we know Tangs grow really big. Right?
So here's the thing. I've been doing this a long time, always keeping tangs, and not one of them has ever really grown bigger than the day I got it. Example, bought a 4 inch Yellow Tang. 8 years later, still 4 inches.

What's everyone else's experience with this? I did see a Naso that was about a foot long grown from a baby, but never my own tangs. And I feed a lot. Probably too much. I currently have 5 Tangs, none have grown at all.
what is the size of your tank Aquattro?
Old 09-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
what is the size of your tank Aquattro?
Currently a 180. No difference than when it was a 75 or 90 or 150
Old 09-08-2013, 06:12 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

[quote=Aquattro;843958]Currently a 180. No difference than when it was a 75 or 90 or 150[/QUOTE

so, looking back when you kept these tangs in the 75gallon.
Can you comment on the activity of your tangs in your small 75 versus your current 180. By activity I include the constant swimming that is easily seen by reefers who have had the chance to view them in the wild.?
My commented the tangs have more swimming room. They appear to me to be happier swimming to and fro rather than kind of just 'hanging' around. The difference in their behaviour 4' versus 6+ is really noticeable.

Would you agree with my comment brad?

I would also ask those who have moved from small to 6+ tangs to comment as well. Thanks
Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

[quote=naesco;843964]
Quote:
Currently a 180. No difference than when it was a 75 or 90 or 150[/QUOTE

so, looking back when you kept these tangs in the 75gallon.
Can you comment on the activity of your tangs in your small 75 versus your current 180. By activity I include the constant swimming that is easily seen by reefers who have had the chance to view them in the wild.?
My commented the tangs have more swimming room. They appear to me to be happier swimming to and fro rather than kind of just 'hanging' around. The difference in their behaviour 4' versus 6+ is really noticeable.

I would also ask those who have moved from small to 6+ tangs to comment as well. Thanks
My yellow tang has been in 2', 4', 6' and now an 8' tank. I have seen no difference in behavior, granted he was only in the 2' for 5 months but he spent over 5 yrs in a 4' tank and has been in the 8' tank for about 8 months now. The bristletooth tang on the other hand, acts like the 8 footer is too small and is a complete jerk

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post

I really want to, but can't I haven't found any difference in behaviour in any tang going from 4' to 6'. Even the faster acanthurus species, who get a bit squirrelly in the 4' stay that way in a 6'. I agree a 10' might make a difference, but not going from a 90 to a 180.

I think what might make a difference is a newbie starting with a 75g stacked with too much rock. Then moving to a larger tank where they scaped differently and provided a more secure feeling environment.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

My kole tang seemed much more relaxed in its swimming patterns after it moved from my 97 to the 404. That's not to say it didn't seem happy in the smaller tank... it did seem happy.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:15 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco
I am assuming you mean 6' + tanks?

I put a 3/4" long Blue Hepatus tang in my daughters 29g bio cube. After 1 yr it had grown to about 2". The tank was taken down and the fish went to a customers tank that was a 240 gallon @ 7' long. The tang doubled in size in about 6 months. The only other tang in the tank was a 3" Yellow Sailfin.

I have had a Purple Sailfin in a 4' x 8' tank for several years and it has not grown much more than 1/2". It grazes all day and is also feed Pacifica Plankton once a day. System volume is about 800 gallons and I use Ozone on a regular basis, which will break down any pheromones.

So really who knows why fish grow and don't grow. Change sexes etc.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:43 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

my yellow grew, but it was tiny when I got him, went from about 2" to about 5, my sailfin went from about 4" to probably close to 7" and my achilles tang doubled in size to about 6"

so I don't know what to think as this was all in a tank 1/2 of what you got.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:12 AM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think this is an exception to the typical tang experience, I often hear of hipos getting very large, very fast.
Yeah thats what i heard to, but my hippo was 4" when I bought it, and 2 years later its 4".

Now that I think about it, all my tangs are pretty much the same as when I bought them. Maybe different tanks cause fish to grow, and other stunt them?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

I've gone with the open and less live rock look on my rebuild and the tangs love the open space and are darting all over! My tangs are fat but have not noticed any growth since I have them (4+) yrs.. However, I should revisit this in a yr to see if it does make a difference.
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller