Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Banned

Basile is on a distinguished road
Question plumbing dilema

I want my display refugium who's higher; to feed my reef with pods and rotifers . Now i'm not sure about the plumbing, should i hook the pipe to the drain a get all the debris with it or have a seperate pipe and where should i put it. This will be my set up.

The refugium has a C2c because it will drain in the sump as well as feeding the tank; but thats my dilema. Should i drain the refugium junk into my reef tank; the fuge will have seahorses on one side and on the other side Anglers

So what do you think should i have a seperate pipe from the fuge and where should it drain from?

My reef tank with its glass wavebox cool hein.

Reef stand

The refugium stand

Thanks for your time
Old 09-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Banned

Question

This is my plumbing plan as of now

What do you think; Both tanks have a C2C both a herbie style drain, the fuge has that feeding pipe just under the water line and feeds the reef over the water line, when the pumps stops the water level drops the feeding pipe drys out, right?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:32 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

I cannot comment on the options but I believe there needs to be this improvement.
I assume gravity feeds the main tank from the refugium which will contain lots of pods etc. for your fish and coral to eat.
The pipe fro the refugium should extend all the way to the bottom of the main tank and a bit in the sand.
If not smart fish will simply wait and eat the pods as they enter the aquarium but you want the pods etc. to also get into and multiply in the live rock as wll
Old 09-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
I cannot comment on the options but I believe there needs to be this improvement.
I assume gravity feeds the main tank from the refugium which will contain lots of pods etc. for your fish and coral to eat.
The pipe fro the refugium should extend all the way to the bottom of the main tank and a bit in the sand.
If not smart fish will simply wait and eat the pods as they enter the aquarium but you want the pods etc. to also get into and multiply in the live rock as wll
I like that concept, why wouldn't want to comment on the concept if you have s uggestion shoot i'll dispose it depends if duable or if i can , thanks for the input, makes perfect sense , long term thinking.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:16 PM

Jeff000 is on a distinguished road

Looks fine how you have it. Don't worry about the fish waiting at the outlet. They'll never get them all.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff000 View Post
Looks fine how you have it. Don't worry about the fish waiting at the outlet. They'll never get them all.
Thanks need that lol; In any case i plan on having that pipe arriving right at the mouth of a Tunze 6095 power head lol good luck lol. but still his suggestion had merit.I actually could even have the pipe come into the wave box a be flushed every time by the pump. Lots of ways. This is my tank very own home made glass wavebox

Old 09-02-2013, 07:00 AM

KrazyKuch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KrazyKuch

I would put you drain from you fuge into your display tank about 1" down in your fuge or you will syphon all you fuge surface scum into your display tank

Kevin
Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKuch View Post
I would put you drain from you fuge into your display tank about 1" down in your fuge or you will syphon all you fuge surface scum into your display tank
Thats about right just under the water line but not skimming it, when the pump stops, the water will drop and the hole will and should be expose , but in any case will have a "T" to prevent syphon like so but will be 1/2 "flex only .

Last edited by Basile; 09-02-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:28 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

heres my thought buddy

any pods can and will make it to your sump , i breed mysid shrimp and i have them in my skimmer body, gfo reactors and my displays and overflow boxes are littered with them that leads me to believe that they easily make it through the pump if not at adult stage then when very young.

if you do drop a line from your fuge set it into the water enough that the bubbles wont splash over the side, close it with a valve to regulate it and dont set it down far enough so that when it first kicks in it stirs up your sand.

i would install a gatevalve on your main drain from display and a gatevalve on your tanks drain to fuge , let both run wide open when you start up the system. then tune the fuge drain to a slow drain by closing gatevalve , then tune your display the same way. should be quiet and no bubbles

i would only have a small amount of water going through personally to reduce noise, bubbles(as it will drain close to water surface)

from my experience pods and micro life end up everywhere in time anyways, the more pods you have is dependant on what you do to raise them and the predators you house with them(pretty much most fish)

i have an idea for your sump im working on a drawing ill send it over to you and let me know what you think. a sump more designed to what your doing will make everything a bit easier in terms of plumbing,drains and pump locations
Old 09-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
heres my thought buddy

any pods can and will make it to your sump , i breed mysid shrimp and i have them in my skimmer body, gfo reactors and my displays and overflow boxes are littered with them that leads me to believe that they easily make it through the pump if not at adult stage then when very young.

if you do drop a line from your fuge set it into the water enough that the bubbles wont splash over the side, close it with a valve to regulate it and dont set it down far enough so that when it first kicks in it stirs up your sand.

i would install a gatevalve on your main drain from display and a gatevalve on your tanks drain to fuge , let both run wide open when you start up the system. then tune the fuge drain to a slow drain by closing gatevalve , then tune your display the same way. should be quiet and no bubbles

i would only have a small amount of water going through personally to reduce noise, bubbles(as it will drain close to water surface)

from my experience pods and micro life end up everywhere in time anyways, the more pods you have is dependant on what you do to raise them and the predators you house with them(pretty much most fish)

i have an idea for your sump im working on a drawing ill send it over to you and let me know what you think. a sump more designed to what your doing will make everything a bit easier in terms of plumbing,drains and pump locations
Hey thanks, actually you've describe pretty much my plan, lol. i've ordered 4 spears gate valves, one for each of my 2 drains(fuge and reef) one 1/2" for the fuge feed line to the reef( that particular pipe; a flex will be a "T" to stop any syphon) and will end up near the wave box or a power head to spread the pods and give them a chance to escape the fishes in the reef, lol. I inted to feed them in the fuge and give them hiding places rubble caves, mud and fine sand, did you know they build little houses saw that the last time if they have fine sand to work with. Can't wait to see your plan thanks again will post pics and video of the tanks when all working.

Thats my sump right now

Last edited by Basile; 09-02-2013 at 04:11 PM.