Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-27-2017, 03:35 AM

1bigfish is on a distinguished road
Default Hydrogen peroxide to kill algae?

I've been reading about dosing 1ml h2o2 per 10 gallons of water to kill algae. I am thinking about trying this to remove green hair algae. Anyone have any experience using this method to get rid of algae? Good or bad?
Old 10-27-2017, 03:40 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Dosing peroxide can go really bad if you screw it up. I would recommend Vibrant or Fluconazole for hair algae.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:23 AM

shiftline is on a distinguished road

I have used it to spot test algae (turn off the flow and use it sparingly)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2017, 02:56 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't if you have coral. I've messed around with too many quick fixes and they all go bad...lol
Old 10-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

I was dosing it for a while a year ago to try to control Bryopsis in one tank and any algae growth in my new tank. I dosed for about 4 months until "GoFish" came up with Fluconazole that got rid of the bryopsis and I stopped dosing. I don't remember off hand what the dose was. "BbLinks" Rich recommended the dosage. Really didn't do much for Bryopsis. However one positive was it killed all the red planaria in my tank, a negative was the snails were not a big fan of it.

It can be used effectively as a dip to control unwanteds on your new frags especially algae.

Dosing with hydrogen peroxide is very similar to dosing with ozone. It increases the redox in your tank. A little is a good thing too much is a really bad thing.

I truly believe there is an untapped usage for hydrogen peroxide in a reef tank. Just need some guinea pigs to figure out what it is.

I have always wondered how dosing Hydrogen Peroxide would control AEFW or vermetid snails. There is no literature on this.

As with anything proceed with caution and take it slow.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:38 PM

Tigweldpro is on a distinguished road

I spot treat algae with 29% peroxide in a 3ml syringe with needle I stick it right in the rock where the algae is growing and inject just a bit. I also dip frag plugs in peroxide but not the coral. I have dipped zoas before as the hair algae was choking them out, they stayed closed for a few days then opened and are looking better than ever. I have always kept the sochting oxydators in my freshwater tanks and never had any problems. The 3% peroxide you get at the drug store is useless ive tried it on algae but its too weak.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:22 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

Guys at oceanic taught me the zoa dip trick. I mix 3 parts tank water, 1 part peroxide and dip my new zoa frags. It kills the algae on the plug but also kills any bad bacteria zoas can pick up. I've dipped all my zoa's for sure.

I've also killed buckets of rock with it. I had a tank over run with hair algae years ago, I put all the rock in a bucket with a $3 bottle of peroxide and water and let it sit for a few days in the back yard, really cleaned the rock well for re use...
Old 11-01-2017, 01:05 AM

crimper is on a distinguished road

I occasionally dip my zoas with 9:1 water to peroxide solution and it is very effective for algae control. I also pull out rocks with algae and dip them until i got a sea hare which devoured all my algae in my grow out tank. However I would not dose it in my tank.