Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-01-2014, 12:35 AM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

Ok so the ammonia tests definitely came back positive. How ammonia spike I don't know. The only thing I can think of is maybe from a bacteria die off after treating the tank but I had way more rock in there the first time I treated it and everything did fine. Doing a 30% water change right now then we'll see how things respond.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Are you just using 30 pounds to filter 300g of water?
Since taking the big tank offline, yes. They tell you to remove the rock if you can when you treat with CP because it absorbs some of the treatment.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:41 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

if you just tested after adding prime then i dont think that test would be accurate....is it? long time since i had prime going
Old 10-01-2014, 04:06 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I had way more rock in there the first time I treated it and everything did fine.
Well ya, that's the point. You need a certain amount of rock to treat ammonia in that volume, less rock, less filtration. 30 pounds in 300g isn't enough to process waste from all the fish, therefore you get NH3 build up. You have too small a filter.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
You have too small a filter.
Hmmm. What do you suggest I do to boost the filtration? I don't have any cycled live rock anymore. I would've figured that this would be similar to a fish only tank without live rock now but I guess even they have sump filters to boost bacteria.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:18 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Ya, you need something. No rock, you use other media. Hit J up for some foam blocks, he has some that he was cycling for me.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:43 AM

Sure you don't need em?
Old 10-01-2014, 05:02 AM
Just a guy..

Nope, I'm good. My rock has caught up to the load and I'm not running the foam anymore.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:12 AM

Ok thanks. On a positive note, most of the fish have bounced back after the water change. The powder blue, purple tang and moorish still aren't eating but they're swimming around better at least. Hopefully they bounce back too.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:27 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I'm confused, is the 300-gallon the display? It's the display that has 30 lbs of rock? If you don't have enough rock you will need ceramic rings or bioballs or something like that. Foam is a bad idea because it gets clogged and can end up being anaerobic (bad). Do you intend the tank to be fish only or a full reef? If you want a full reef you will need rock rather than bioballs/ceramic rings, but if it's fish only then bioballs are very good at their job and inexpensive.

How big is the treatment tank? CP can definitely affect biological bacteria if you use a significant dose of CP. If you stick to usual dosing of 10-20 mg/L it shouldn't affect biological bacteria. What do you have filtering the treatment tank?

Also note, ammonia detoxifiers are NOT compatible with Salifert test kits (I think Elos is the same, but I haven't checked specifically). You will get a false positive no matter how much detoxifier you use. The SeaChem Ammonia badges work well (I've used literally dozens of them over many years) and although they work very well as "alerts" they are terrible at giving an actual measurement, so don't rely on it for the amount of detoxifier to dose. API test kits are compatible with detoxifiers, but API isn't the most reliable test kit...

SPS fanatic.