Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-30-2011, 06:27 PM

Reef23 is on a distinguished road

What's the best setup? Run 2 main drains and one backup or one main and two backups T'd together
Old 06-30-2011, 06:40 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

For me personally, I would run three separate lines if it was easy to do so. One main with a gate valve. One secondary with a Durso standpipe and one for emergency only (straight pipe, ending just above Durso). I would tune the gate valve so some water goes into the secondary but not the emergency. Adjust it basically so just a little water goes into the standpipe so it's still silent. The advantage here is that your need for continuous adjustment is greatly reduced, if water flow increases or decreases slightly for any reason it will still remain quiet.

It really just depends on what you want, many people with a Herbie swear they never need to readjust the gate valve but I know of people who didn't like the system as they found it required too much adjustment, I fixed their concerns by changing to something similar as I mentioned above.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
For me personally, I would run three separate lines if it was easy to do so. One main with a gate valve. One secondary with a Durso standpipe and one for emergency only (straight pipe, ending just above Durso). I would tune the gate valve so some water goes into the secondary but not the emergency. Adjust it basically so just a little water goes into the standpipe so it's still silent. The advantage here is that your need for continuous adjustment is greatly reduced, if water flow increases or decreases slightly for any reason it will still remain quiet.

It really just depends on what you want, many people with a Herbie swear they never need to readjust the gate valve but I know of people who didn't like the system as they found it required too much adjustment, I fixed their concerns by changing to something similar as I mentioned above.
Great Advice!
So on the main drain no standpipe at all just let it drain down the bulkhead ?
My tank is 52x26x23 with an external coast to coast. My sump is a 40G breeder. My skimmer section just will fit the super reef octopus xp3000 I plan on running so it will be tight to fit all three drains in that section. I don't really want to have one drain in my fuge as it will stir up the DSB. Should I have a drain going to the return section with the return pump ?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef23 View Post
Great Advice!
So on the main drain no standpipe at all just let it drain down the bulkhead ?
My tank is 52x26x23 with an external coast to coast. My sump is a 40G breeder. My skimmer section just will fit the super reef octopus xp3000 I plan on running so it will be tight to fit all three drains in that section. I don't really want to have one drain in my fuge as it will stir up the DSB. Should I have a drain going to the return section with the return pump ?
No standpipe on the main drain but you could put a short length of pipe to extend up a few inches below the second drain standpipe if you want. This will prevent the entire overflow box from draining which may or may not be important depending on the size of the overflow box and the space available in the sump for back flow.

If you follow my recommendation then it would be best to put the main and secondary lines in the skimmer section if possible and the emergency can go in the return section.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Just wanted to add another tip which you may or may not have already considered. If the sump is located behind the tank it would be wise to place it on a stand so it's as high as possible but still slightly below the level in the overflow. This will reduce head pressure to a min so you can run a smaller return pump cutting back on both power consumption and noise.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Just wanted to add another tip which you may or may not have already considered. If the sump is located behind the tank it would be wise to place it on a stand so it's as high as possible but still slightly below the level in the overflow. This will reduce head pressure to a min so you can run a smaller return pump cutting back on both power consumption and noise.
Thanks. I have the sump o the ground with my current 75G setup. I was looking to raise the sump but wasn't sure if it mattered how much the plumbing dropped before the vertical run going thru the wall. So it won't matter if I drop say 4" out of the external overflow, then a 90 and a 12"vertical run thru the wall and another 90 with a short piece of pipe so it's submerged under the water in the sump ?
Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef23 View Post
Thanks. I have the sump o the ground with my current 75G setup. I was looking to raise the sump but wasn't sure if it mattered how much the plumbing dropped before the vertical run going thru the wall. So it won't matter if I drop say 4" out of the external overflow, then a 90 and a 12"vertical run thru the wall and another 90 with a short piece of pipe so it's submerged under the water in the sump ?
I assume you mean horizontal not vertical? No it wouldn't matter you don't need much drop at all. In a typical setup (non-herbie) the drain is limited to the small amount of pressure that builds up above the standpipe which is less than an inch so realistically you're not limiting your flow as long as the sump water level at least a couple inches below the water level in the overflow. Same rule actually applies to a herbie as you want the emergency drain capable of handling the full flow.

In fact if you can plan it out so the top of the sump is level (or just slightly below) with the top of the tank you have zero chance of a sump overflow. This would allow you to run returns lower in the tank without the concern of back flow siphon and you could run the water level in the sump much higher. Then to boot you're look at reducing your head pressure by at least half so now you only need half the pump.

Last edited by sphelps; 06-30-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:41 PM

Actually just to switch things up completely if you can plan out the sump design so the first chamber water level is at the same hieght as the desired overflow water level you can just run all three drains directly into the sump without any standpipes or valves needed, you will have to drill into the side of the sump though but you could also tee everything together into a nice big solid 2" line. Very similar to an AIO setup.

This is probably what I would do....

Last edited by sphelps; 06-30-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Actually just to switch things up completely if you can plan out the sump design so the first chamber water level is at the same hieght as the desired overflow water level you can just run all three drains directly into the sump without any standpipes or valves needed, you will have to drill into the side of the sump though but you could also tee everything together into a nice big solid 2" line. Very similar to an AIO setup.

This is probably what I would do....
I don't think i will be able to get the levels the dame but a few inches is deff possible. Seems like you have extensive knowledge with plumbing thanks