Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-13-2010, 04:07 PM

burblecut is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Lets see the guts of your system

Heya,

I'm curious what everybody's system looks like below the tank. As being new to the hobby. I only have basic stuff such as a sump, skimmer, test kits, T5 lighting, RODI, coral food and some purple up.

Is this enough for a long lasting reef? What does everyone else use and how is it set up? Any pics would be helpful and a quick paragraph explaining your methods of your madness.

I hear of Reactors, Co2, 2 part, 3 part, diy, dosers, refuges, controllers and many other systems, but what is necessary? and what is overkill?

I would like my tank to be as nice as any other persons on canreef with a limited budget, but with all of these pieces of equipment and chemistry involved, it gets somewhat overwhelming for a noob such as myself.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 04:19 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

I will grab a pic when i get home but you have most of the basic's. only thing i would reccomend is running some rowaphos (GFO) and running carbon. My set up is very similar and i am in the same boat as for being on a budget. another thing to consider is a ATO like the tunze one. saves you alot of head acks with keeping your water level up to par
Old 01-13-2010, 05:47 PM

Jessie55 is on a distinguished road

I try to put a sump sock on anything that moves water it makes the water look so clean and kills bubbles.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

Your system appears headed in the correct direction. Moving forward you will require a system to maintain a consistent amount of calcium and alkalinity, this can be accomplished various ways, including using 2 part additives or a calcium reactor. The more corals you have, the greater the demands on ca and alk (corals use this - gallons do not).

Also - forget about the purple up (and save your money for other stuff). Once your tank matures and maintains a consistent level of calcium, coraline will become an enemy. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burblecut View Post
Heya,

I'm curious what everybody's system looks like below the tank. As being new to the hobby. I only have basic stuff such as a sump, skimmer, test kits, T5 lighting, RODI, coral food and some purple up.

Is this enough for a long lasting reef? What does everyone else use and how is it set up? Any pics would be helpful and a quick paragraph explaining your methods of your madness.

I hear of Reactors, Co2, 2 part, 3 part, diy, dosers, refuges, controllers and many other systems, but what is necessary? and what is overkill?

I would like my tank to be as nice as any other persons on canreef with a limited budget, but with all of these pieces of equipment and chemistry involved, it gets somewhat overwhelming for a noob such as myself.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 06:08 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

For the most part my guts are on display. I use a big 140gal stock trough as a sump and because I just rent this crack shack I'm not able to add some more walls to hide it. I consider everything that I have to be necessary and cost effective to run my reef but obviously others will differ... Okay the stock trough is a little excessive but I love the massive water volume and space! In the picture you can see:

Skimmer
Controller
Media reactors
Refugium
Return pump
ATO
(frag tank on the left and display tank on the right)

Here is why everything sits beside the tank... theres not enough room under the display anymore.

2 Stage Calcium Reactor
Kalkwasser Reactor
Battery Backup
CO2

On top the lights hang from the ceiling and you can see how the water returning from the sump is directed through an OM 4-Way wavemaker.

Its all neatly tucked away in the corner of my ghetto basement for now. Most of frankensump was built with the intention of upgrading it to a 50"x36"x24" 250gal in-wall system once we buy a house. The only item not shown in the picture is the RO/DI system which is plumbed to the ATO tank from another room.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 01-13-2010, 06:33 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

whatcaneyedo (sorry forget your name) I like your ghetto set-up with all the reefing related posters and all, it doesn't look so ghetto to me. Where did you find all those ? I was at Greg's (snappy) and he also has the same kinda idea.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:47 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I bought them through a wholesaler that most people probably wouldnt have access too... Ottawa Inverts has them listed for sale on their website and I know Progressive Reef has a few of them up in their store so they might be able to bring them in. I have 7 in total but you can only see a few in the picture.

I love having them as a quick referance when I'm trying to explain the care requirements of something to someone standing in my basement. They also distract from the depressing damaged green walls down here.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 01-13-2010, 07:39 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Crowded, I know

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 01-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
I bought them through a wholesaler that most people probably wouldnt have access too... Ottawa Inverts has them listed for sale on their website and I know Progressive Reef has a few of them up in their store so they might be able to bring them in. I have 7 in total but you can only see a few in the picture.

I love having them as a quick referance when I'm trying to explain the care requirements of something to someone standing in my basement. They also distract from the depressing damaged green walls down here.
We have access to the posters as well. $17.99 each.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Moved on

OceanicCorals-Ian- is on a distinguished road

I like your chandelier frags/colonies in your smaller tank, we do that to with certain species! They like being suspended and also promotes better growth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
For the most part my guts are on display. I use a big 140gal stock trough as a sump and because I just rent this crack shack I'm not able to add some more walls to hide it. I consider everything that I have to be necessary and cost effective to run my reef but obviously others will differ... Okay the stock trough is a little excessive but I love the massive water volume and space! In the picture you can see:

Skimmer
Controller
Media reactors
Refugium
Return pump
ATO
(frag tank on the left and display tank on the right)

Here is why everything sits beside the tank... theres not enough room under the display anymore.

2 Stage Calcium Reactor
Kalkwasser Reactor
Battery Backup
CO2

On top the lights hang from the ceiling and you can see how the water returning from the sump is directed through an OM 4-Way wavemaker.

Its all neatly tucked away in the corner of my ghetto basement for now. Most of frankensump was built with the intention of upgrading it to a 50"x36"x24" 250gal in-wall system once we buy a house. The only item not shown in the picture is the RO/DI system which is plumbed to the ATO tank from another room.

Tags
equipment