Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > BC Interiors

Old 06-29-2017, 02:22 AM

phillybean is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone from Kelowna still here?

I got out of the Hobby in 2010 and remember a lot of local activity, getting back into it now and wondering if it's still there.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:33 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I'm pretty sure I met you in Kelowna, but I don't live there anymore.

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:22 AM

You bet, I can't remember what I bought or traded off you but I remember it vaguely.

How's the Reef scene in SK?
Old 06-29-2017, 09:22 AM

H2o2 is on a distinguished road

I am and u and I have traded stuff before
Old 06-29-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybean View Post
You bet, I can't remember what I bought or traded off you but I remember it vaguely.

How's the Reef scene in SK?
There are a few of us SPS geeks out here, mostly LPS and Zoa peeps. Lots of activity though. There was a frag swap in the spring organized by one of the Facebook groups (we have 3 because no one can get along haha), and I couldn't believe how many people showed up.

How's Kelowna's scene? SW was never big in Kelowna. Pet City has that bigger store now, how's he doing for SW sales? Purple Seahorse always had the cheap salt, but I rarely bought stuff there. Then there was the one out of the house that was SW only...can't remember what he was called - he shut down didn't he? There was that other guy that tried it out of his basement, I think he was around for a couple years?

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2o2 View Post
I am and u and I have traded stuff before
Awesome, in a couple months I'll be looking to see what you have
Old 06-30-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
There are a few of us SPS geeks out here, mostly LPS and Zoa peeps. Lots of activity though. There was a frag swap in the spring organized by one of the Facebook groups (we have 3 because no one can get along haha), and I couldn't believe how many people showed up.

How's Kelowna's scene? SW was never big in Kelowna. Pet City has that bigger store now, how's he doing for SW sales? Purple Seahorse always had the cheap salt, but I rarely bought stuff there. Then there was the one out of the house that was SW only...can't remember what he was called - he shut down didn't he? There was that other guy that tried it out of his basement, I think he was around for a couple years?
Petcity is actually a lot better than I remember. Still not the greatest coral selection, but decent dry goods at a decent price. Bubble Magnus Skimmers for basically the same price as J&L.

Reefkeepers shut down and I don't think Chris who started that other one out of his home is doing it any more either. I hear there is a decent place in Vernon but haven't looked into them much.

I haven't set up another tank yet, but purchased a 90 Gallon, and a few things to get ready. Going to be doing an inwall set up, with a small fishroom in the furnace/laundry room.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybean View Post
Petcity is actually a lot better than I remember. Still not the greatest coral selection, but decent dry goods at a decent price. Bubble Magnus Skimmers for basically the same price as J&L.

Reefkeepers shut down and I don't think Chris who started that other one out of his home is doing it any more either. I hear there is a decent place in Vernon but haven't looked into them much.
Yeah, I moved away before Pet City moved into the bigger location. I always found him the best to deal with. No ego, nice guy. Back in the day he did a mini quarantine on all new fish at his house before he brought them to the store too, and I thought his fish always looked good.

Oh right it was called Reef Keepers. I always found it uncomfortable to go to someone's home to shop - always felt like I had to buy something. Same with Chris - oh, it was called Interior Reef - but he never really had anything when I went over there.

The one in Vernon is AJ's Pets n Things. AJ is buddies with a good reefer friend of mine in Vernon, and AJ came along to MACNA in Dallas in 2012 I think it was. He learned a lot about SW while he was there, and was really humble and willing to learn and listen. He wanted to improve the SW aspect of his shop. I'm not sure if he accomplished his new vision or not...?

Quote:
I haven't set up another tank yet, but purchased a 90 Gallon, and a few things to get ready. Going to be doing an inwall set up, with a small fishroom in the furnace/laundry room.
Lucky to have a fish room! I'm jealous!

SPS fanatic.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:43 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

AJs is still pretty much the only game in Vernon at the moment. There is/was a lady on Bella Vista Road with a home based operation but I haven't checked on that in a while. Come to think of it, it's been a few weeks since I stopped in at AJs and I noticed he was redoing most of the salt water tanks in the back. Had pretty much everything torn out on one wall. I'll have to pop in again soon to see how that's coming along.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:39 AM

shiftline is on a distinguished road

I'm in kelowna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk