Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-22-2008, 06:22 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Question UV users - recommendations re wiper or no-wiper

As some of you may know I think I am battling a pathogen of some kind in my system and thus I'm now at the point I'm considering the purchase of a UV sterilizer to continue the pursuit of resolving this issue.

The only thing I know about what to look for in a UV sterilizer is that I've heard "you should get one with a wiper".

I can understand that keeping the unit clean will keep it most effective, so I can thus understand the reasoning for that recommendation.

The problem is the finding of said UV-sterilizer-with-a-wiper. It basically comes down to, if this is an important requirement, it's a different cost category AND it has to be mail-ordered from a US vendor - all the major players north of the border - at least all the ones I deal with - offer UV units without a wiper.

So how important would you say this feature is? Is it worth the hassle of finding one with the wiper or could one just go ahead and live without it?
Old 12-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I'd guess you could live without it. If it needs cleaning, then just clean it.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:00 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

I don't have no stinkin wiper, takes 30 seconds to clean the bulb once and a while.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:13 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
I don't have no stinkin wiper, takes 30 seconds to clean the bulb once and a while.

Steve
Ditto
Old 12-22-2008, 08:10 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Ok sounds good. Thanks folks!

(So is it Boxing Day yet???)
Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 PM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

I own a Pentair without a wiper and maintain lots of AquaUV units with wipers. I maybe get around to cleaning my Pentair once every month or so, I find it all to easy to procrastinate on taking the damn thing apart. With the Aqua UVs you give give the wiper a couple pulls and you're done so if you're like me you're more likely to do it regularly. The cleaner the sleeve is the better it works.

Tony, shoot me a pm and I'll see about getting you the boxing day price on it, I can just send it down there with my brother after xmas.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:04 AM

Razz is on a distinguished road

I had run a UV for over 4 years, and each time I pulkled it apart it was relativly clean. Very little build up of any sorts, so I would think that w/o should be fine, I also have to say that I would never run a system without a UV even with all of the debate, I ffound it kept the water chrystal clear and I had few problems with any problem alagaes sickness etc.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:35 AM

Willito is on a distinguished road

For those that are UV, what wattage and gph are you running? State your tank size too.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:40 AM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

I'm running the 18watt, with a maxijet 900 on my 125ish gallon tank. No wiper and it stays really clean, basicly the only time I clean it is when I change the bulb about once a year.