Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-31-2014, 01:34 AM

Wildechild_01 is on a distinguished road

Take some wood working classes??? Alternatively basic covering can be something like MDF or any other smooth surface wood product. Just seal and paint the inside. Pre made doors along with a variety of hinges latches magnetic closures etc can usually be found at local hardware stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2014, 03:17 AM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

Ha, who has time for woodworking lessons.

Just wondering what ppl use to trim their tanks... I was at Rona and didn't particulary like anything.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:48 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

You could get some magnets from somewhere such as Lee Valley Tools (rare earth ones are great for this - little hockey puck-shaped ones)
Glue the magnets into one surface, and screw in some fender washers on the other surface. Then you can use whatever covering you like ... Ikea doors, something from the Re-Store, used kitchen cabinet doors from craigslist, make your own, or whatever

Nice job on the stand BTW

I don't wanna scare ya, and maybe I'm wrong
I don't want to knock your woodworking skills, but if that stand were mine ... and maybe others will disagree with me ...

If I were to build a stand for a tank that'll hold a 1/2 Ton of water, I'd want more support for the front and back long sections. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't want the bottom glass being the only support for all that weight. I can picture the stress of the weight causing the bottom to bow down in the center

I'd want either center supports, or sistered 2xs

Thinking about weight distribution, you're asking each of those 2 2x4s to hold 250lbs of water in the center, aside from the glass, sand and rock weight

As long as you're comfortable with this, carry on

Hopefully someone else will chime in to prove me wrong and assure you all is good

Keep those build pics comin'
Old 10-31-2014, 05:56 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Think I may have to second Greg's comment about sistering the 48" 2x4's. Personally I don't trust 'simple' lumber these days. What's a couple extra bucks for the security of that beautiful tank?

In regards to your stand's skin. I'm not sure what your budget is, but you could always be lazy like me and have it made by a cabinet maker. I had 2 gable ends, a front face, 2 custom doors, all hardware and stain, all for $350.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:43 AM

I did a ton of research and the weight which a 2*4 can handle vertically is insane . Even if I would take the max load of the 8 2*4's and divided it by let's say 4 as a safety factor, it would still be rated at about 8000lb.
My 120 will probably be around 1600lb at most, so I'll be OK. Come check it out if you wan .

Greg, I recall you using the same stand as I had on my 75g which was made out of plywood and 1*3 if I recall with no reinforcement what's so ever. Now would you believe me if I'd tell you that the centre brace on your 4ft stand doesn't offer any support at all?
I actually took that middle board out about 2 years and had no issues with the stand.

Now, I can move the stock 75-90g stand similar to what you have by myself without breaking a sweat, however this stand (unfinished) weights a ton compared to the store bought one.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:31 PM

Wildechild_01 is on a distinguished road

I agree that the stand is built more than sufficient, i built a stand for a 90g a few years back with the help of an Engineer. I showed him my plans and asked if he thought i would be okay, his answer, "Your house is more likely to fall down than your stand to break under your tank" I of course still built it that strong, and then when i moved had to take a reciprocating saw to it in order to get it apart. As long as the stand is level and your tank sits level on it that stand is pretty beefy.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:31 PM

A great read on stands can be found here.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:22 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road

That stand is overbuilt if anything, I bet it holds twice the weight he needs, think of those lfs stands made of 1/2" ply. General rule with spans is 2x4 can go 4 feet, 2x6 for 6 feet and so on

Last edited by CM125; 10-31-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:55 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Hey Chris, as long as you're happy with it is all that matters

But for what it's worth, it's not the vertical support I was referring to, but rather the load on the horizontal

And BTW, my flimsy stand does have center uprights
The tank is warrantied for life on their stand so it suits me fine and is why I bought it instead of building one

Keep those pics comin'

Last edited by gregzz4; 10-31-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:57 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

nice WTB rocket-v saddle.