Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-31-2014, 03:41 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

My experience with algae is that you can't get rid of it with nutrient reduction alone. Prevent it maybe, slow it down for sure, but actually killing it would require a nutrient reduction so severe I doubt your corals would survive. You'd need to pair it with some other control technique, be that manual removal, a predator, or an algicide. I've noticed a marked decrease in the rate the algae I do have is growing, but the hair algae that's invaded the dead coral skeletons I put in my sump (away from my hungry rabbit fish) certainly isn't receding.

Mind you, it's only been two weeks.

I'm also assisting it with phozdown. Phosphates were testing as high as 0.8ppm after I stopped using gfo, and I've been veeeeeery slowly bringing that down with phozdown. Interestingly, the rate it was falling was almost imperceptible as I'm freaked about ODing it so wasn't adding much every day, but within a week of adding the cubes it went from 0.08 to 0.00, and I decreased the amount of phozdown I dosed per day twice in that time.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:05 AM

Coral Hoarder is on a distinguished road

I used the recommended amount lol
Old 10-31-2014, 02:18 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I'm still having trouble figuring out what that is. All the recommendations I've seen are in mL/gallon, but they're solid, odd shaped cubes. I wish they'd do it by weight
Old 11-01-2014, 07:53 AM

canadianbudz604 is on a distinguished road
Angry Nitraguard

Lps are ****ed because the cubes work too well and too fast? Have u guys done any tests with these cubes? Do they work? I've read of reviews about them working very well...
Old 11-05-2014, 12:58 AM

reefwithareefer is on a distinguished road

I am using them as directed. At first they did not seem to work at all, but over time they have lived up to what they advertised. I have had no issues with any corals, fish, softies etc etc. They do turn red after awhile. I placed them by a high flow area as directed.
I have a 180 gal DT, 90 gal refugium and a 75 gal sump. I run Rowa and carbon as well.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:30 PM

Reefer+ is on a distinguished road

Resurrecting this post!

I started using Ocean Lab Nitra Guard w/Titanium to combat a random algae outbreak after introducing some new corals.

I added the cubes into my setup beginning of March using the bomb method.

It's been over a month and I've noticed the algae reduction. However in some areas of the tank, hair and bryopsis algae wont die. They keep coming back to those areas. I've tried killing them using Hydrogen peroxide but they come back after 1 week. Btw I never had hair and bryopsis prior to the corals I introduced...

All my corals and fish are doing very well so no issues there.

Parameters looks good.

The one issue I noticed with the cubes is the smell. I'm getting a nasty sulphur smell. I've checked the air stone and added a second one just to make sure. Its located in the sump. As long as its submerged the smell is virtually gone. However when I pull it out of the water, it smells bad.

I've tried contacting Ocean Labs and found out that was a waste of time as I'm not getting a hold of anyone and no responses back to my emails.

I would like to think I'm doing everything right but clearly I'm missing something. .

It does appear to be working. Perhaps, not as good as I would like it to, but still glass cleaning has gone down and there is a noticeable algae reduction.

Thoughts on how to get rid of the smell? I read online that it's lacking oxygen. In my case, I highly doubt it. Direct flow might be an issue but I still can't see how that would make a difference as water flow is constant in the sump and the air stones are creating a lot of water movement.

I've attached some pictures.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2020, 07:25 PM

juanlien is on a distinguished road

never experienced it. but this is a very interesting discussion to follow