Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-19-2012, 03:37 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Orp is a tricky subject. I once dug into it and really I don't bother. As long as water quality is good. Nitrate phosphate. Cal alk mg. it's all good. Some coral like high flow some like less. Same as light. I grow sps and a few lps. Due to high light and great water my sps out grows lps 10 to 1. Try moving pices to different areas as long as you have good polyp extension then let time do its thing. Also IMO ozone is good but not a huge factor for me. Orp can and will drop and raise through out the day.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:52 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
Orp is a tricky subject. I once dug into it and really I don't bother. As long as water quality is good. Nitrate phosphate. Cal alk mg. it's all good. Some coral like high flow some like less. Same as light. I grow sps and a few lps. Due to high light and great water my sps out grows lps 10 to 1. Try moving pices to different areas as long as you have good polyp extension then let time do its thing. Also IMO ozone is good but not a huge factor for me. Orp can and will drop and raise through out the day.
+1 one. I have had an Orp probe on my tank for 3 years and have watched to go from 300 to 450 all in a matter of a day without any noticeable changes in my tank. Some days it'll sit at the low end, sometimes it will sit at the high end. I've read up on it as well and still don't really understand what the heck ORP is telling me LOL.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak View Post
I did weekly water changes (Reef crystals), but it was not enough to get the extra Mg boost I needed.
Strangely enough when i used RC on my 97 and 404 I rarely ever used any of my Mg chems. It was always at 1400 but I was never sure how lol.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:21 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Strangely enough when i used RC on my 97 and 404 I rarely ever used any of my Mg chems. It was always at 1400 but I was never sure how lol.
Yeah, I have read about RC having MG levels anywhere from 1000 to 1450 over the last few years.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak View Post
Yeah, I have read about RC having MG levels anywhere from 1000 to 1450 over the last few years.
and undetectable levels of liquid death apparently.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:27 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
+1 one. I have had an Orp probe on my tank for 3 years and have watched to go from 300 to 450 all in a matter of a day without any noticeable changes in my tank. Some days it'll sit at the low end, sometimes it will sit at the high end. I've read up on it as well and still don't really understand what the heck ORP is telling me LOL.
Basically it's a measure of good vs bad. 350 450 is a good range. But really if it goes to high or low you would probably know without a meter. Ozone is o3. So if you have good o2 in tank it should already be oxidizing the filth in tank. H202 is another way to raise orp.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:36 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
Basically it's a measure of good vs bad
ya that's pretty much all I got out of reading the various articles about ORP.

Tags
alkalinity, calcium, ozone