Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-14-2019, 04:40 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Brett, if you want to try Fozdown, I have a brand new bottle that I never used because my filter sock holes didn't fit the 10 micron socks that I bought. I use Fauna Marine Ultra Phos 0.04 now, so you can have my Fozdown if you want to try it out.

Wai's usually carries Fozdown.

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 02-14-2019, 05:13 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

How are you running the ultra phosphate 0.04? There are so many products now! How does its price compare to gfo? I certainly need to use something I'm at a whopping 0.24 at the moment but I barely have any coral yet.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:47 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
How are you running the ultra phosphate 0.04? I certainly need to use something I'm at a whopping 0.24 at the moment but I barely have any coral yet.
What are your nitrates at? Sometimes if your nitrates are low you will get a high reading on phosphates.

My phosphates were way up there when I first started my tank 3 years ago. I couldn't even control the phosphates with GFO and Fozdown. But my nitrates were undetectable even with the Red Sea Pro nitrate test kit. I started adding nitrates and my phosphates dropped right down and my corals coloured up.

Apparently nitrates were the limiting factor and once my tank had nitrates the inhabitants in the tank were able to use the phosphates and the phosphates dropped quickly to near 0.

If you have moderate to high nitrates dis-regard everything I said.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:37 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'm pretty sure all my dry rock is leaching generously. My test shows nitrates around 40ppm...
Old 02-15-2019, 06:46 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road
Default About Foz Down

Since my name was mentioned I thought I'd chime in a bit.

A little bit of history...

I had an Acro/SPS/LPS culture system of 800 gallons. I put a lot of food into the system broadcast feeding the SPS and target feeding the LPS. I had lots of fish in the system as well as several tangs... Purple Sailfin, White Stripe Bristletooth, etc etc. I used HC GFO in a custom DIY reactor to control Phosphate but it was expensive... over $100 a month. I needed a cheaper method so I researched Lanthanum Chloride.

Foz Down was created because I thought, wow this stuff is great, it's safe, cheaper and much less work than GFO. It would make life much easier and cheaper for hobbyist's too! I should dilute it to a safe level and sell it as an effective means of controlling phosphate/algae/cyano. I diluted it because I had purchased a highly concentrated version for my Acro/SPS/LPS culture system. I didn't want to expose hobbyist's to the risk of overdosing it and consequently depleting the buffer in the tank. I did however make it the strongest version on the market and only added RO/DI water to it.

The LC is like other chemicals and comes in different grades... 99.00% pure, 99.90% pure, 99.99% pure and 99.999% pure. I chose to use the 99.99% pure version as it's not quite as expensive as gold but still reasonably pure. China is the main source of LC.

LC will selectively bind with Phosphates first, but since it's a chloride salt it will also bind with buffers, only if no Phosphate is present. Interestingly they use Lanthanum carbonate to remove Phosphate from people with end stage Kidney disease.

The best way to use Foz Down is to dilute it with RO/DI water and slowly add it through out the day via dosing pump to the main Display Tank. The dosage can be calculated by figuring out your tanks daily Phosphate production. I've tried the 10 micron filter socks and then went to the 5 micron filter socks. I did some tests and the precipitate will go through 10 micron and some will go through even the 5 micron socks. Eventually I just discarded using the socks and added it to the main tank. I ran bare bottom tanks so could see any build up but there was nothing other than the normal detritus. To sum up my experience with Foz Down... I just added it diluted directly to display tank via GHL dosing pump and did not worry about filter socks.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to message me.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 02-16-2019, 01:34 AM
Gold Member

Thanks Tim. I do think I'm going to give it a shot after all. I don't have a doser just yet but I'll manually dose for the time being.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:40 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

I have a 125g mixed sps ( more sps then las) reef with 150ish gal water volume
I have used FOZ DOWN for the last 4 going on 5 years.
I bought 6 bottles when i came out and i still have 3 left, once my levels got down to where i wanted them i did the math and for my tank and feeding i dose 3ml into 2L of water and dose 100 ml a day over 3 times. My Phosphate levels are ALWAYS 0.03 or 0.04 every time i check them no mater what.

I used to go threw over a cup of GFO a month now 3ml of Foz down lasts almost a month

I use this in conjunction with vinegar dosing but now its at such a low level i only dose 10 ml of vinegar a day almost nothing

I HIGHly reccomend just trying it i have had super good results and I'm like you i hate adding stuff to my tank if i dont need it.Also i dont use a filter sock as i haven't noticed any difference as i dose in the sump before my normal socks

My only concern is what will happen if i can't get Foz down as the company goes out of business i will need to stock up but i have only used like 2 bottles in the past 2 years

Just my 2 cents
Old 02-17-2019, 05:57 PM

Glad to be able to help Brett!
You can also add the Foz Down into the water reservoir for an ATO system. Wai's should have some in stock.

Thanks for the positive feedback Craig. Don't worry about me going out of business :-). I've been doing this since 1999, actually 20yrs this March. You could say I'm addicted to the hobby and I love diving on the reefs.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:22 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Glad to be able to help Brett!
You can also add the Foz Down into the water reservoir for an ATO system. Wai's should have some in stock.

Thanks for the positive feedback Craig. Don't worry about me going out of business :-). I've been doing this since 1999, actually 20yrs this March. You could say I'm addicted to the hobby and I love diving on the reefs.
just wondering about the foz down in the ATO reservoir, how much would you add?
Old 02-18-2019, 05:32 PM

To figure that out you need to find out how much water your tank uses on a daily rate and it's daily Phosphate production. Then add the appropriate amount of Foz Down to the ATO reservoir.

For example: Assuming 300 gallon tank heavily stocked with fish with about 240 gallons of water volume.
Tank evaporates 1 gallon of water a day. Reservoir holds 5 gallons.

Morning Phosphate reading of 0.08mg/l

Phosphate reading 24hrs later of 0.12mg/l

Tank volume of 240 gallons of water = 240 * 3.78 = 907.2 Liters

Daily Phosphate production = 0.12mg/l - 0.08mg/l = 0.04mg/L * 907.2 L = 36.29mg of Phosphate produced per day.

1 drop of Foz Down removes 0.04mg/l from 37.8 Litres = 1.512mg of Phosphate.

36.29mg of Phosphate needs 24 drops of Foz Down to neutralize it.

Your tank would need 24 drops of Foz Down per day to neutralize it's Phosphate production.

The ATO reservoir holds 5 days of water so you would add 5 * 24 drops of Foz Down to it.

1 ml is roughly 20 drops so you would add 6 ml of Foz Down.

An 8oz bottle of Foz Down is 240ml. So there is 40 dosages in the bottle. 1 dosage = 5 days so 1 bottle of Foz Down would keep Phosphates down in your tank for almost 7 months. That works out to about 15 cents a day for a heavily stocked 300 gallon system.

Hope that helps.