Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-05-2017, 05:52 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Ray, do you have any family or friends/younger peeps around you that could be recruited ?
It's not so difficult to start blocking certain aspects of your surfing experience, you just need some younger 'nerds' to help do it for you
Old 01-05-2017, 02:02 PM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately no, all my kids but one ended up long distances away other than one daughter here and she and hubby don't have the skills but I've already tapped the 19yr old grandson for all he knows but his skills are mostly gaming skills not diagnostic. He asked a buddy for help but buddy said he can't do anything Norton couldn't do when they took control of the computer and checked it out, not finding anything.
What I HAVE done now is searched the Adblock plus and got a download so now to see if it works over the next few days. Hopefully I got the right one as many came up in the search.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:28 PM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

I am willing to do some phone support for free, and depending on your comfort level, remote diagnostics and troubleshooting.

PM me if you are interested.

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:33 PM

Thank you for the offer. However, I'm first going to wait a few days to see if this adblock thing does anything to help.
As for comfort zone, it was more than two weeks before I let Norton take over the computer. It is probably a generation issue where trust in anyone based on my life experiences has become nil.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:17 PM

Just an update now. It has been six days since I started using adblock and I've not had a re-occurrence of the pop up since. Hopefully that will continue.
Thanks all for the input.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:21 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Good to hear.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello

Glad to hear this is fixed.

Titus
Old 01-23-2017, 02:56 PM

OK, the pop up problem has been solved with the Adblock Plus.
HOWEVER, I have a PITA problem with spybot as I uninstalled it to return to using my Norton, now Bitdefender, and ever since, whenever I boot up the computer I get a pop up from Spybot "Post Windows 10 upgrade re-installer for Spybot-Search and Destroy". I then deleted the Spybot folder in Programs but again it still pops up.
Now my googling has found I need to delete this from Registery Editor so I google how to do that, clicking on HKEY CURRENT USER and then Software, but can't find a Spybot folder to find what needs deleting.
Can anyone help me remove this?
It's just my luck, fix one thing, end up with another.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:32 PM

Default is on a distinguished road

Install superantispyware. It will remove the malware that is injecting adds. You have only stopped the pop ups but have not removed the malware.
Malware can put itself into memory so reinstalling windows will not get rid of the virus or malware unless you clear the memory. By reformating disconnecting the power supply and discharging the capacitors on your motherboard.
You should be able to remove spybot from your task manager go to the start up tab and deselect spybot
Old 01-24-2017, 04:06 AM

Thank you for your reply. However, I can't just keep downloading these programs and going from one problem to another. I had Norton Security Deluxe that couldn't fix it, and at the recommendation on this thread I downloaded Spybot and HiJack This and both never fixed it. I switched to BitDefender Total Security and that didn't do any better. What made the difference was the Adbloc, whether or not I have malware that all those programs can't find. How does one know for sure what WILL work as everyone has their own opinions and I'm certainly not qualified to know for myself.
I'm happy with the situation now, as long as I can get rid of this Spybot always trying to re-install when I boot up the computer.