Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 10-04-2012, 05:29 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road
Default Easy Pipefish?

Is there such a thing as an easy (or moderate) to care for pipefish?

I'm starting to mull over the building of a frag/growout system, and I'm thinking that pipefish might be a nice addition to it. I like the thought of having a natural predator in there, but I'm also very conscious of the challenges of keeping them. Has anyone had any success in getting any of the species to eat frozen?
Old 10-04-2012, 06:08 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Is there such a thing as an easy (or moderate) to care for pipefish?

I'm starting to mull over the building of a frag/growout system, and I'm thinking that pipefish might be a nice addition to it. I like the thought of having a natural predator in there, but I'm also very conscious of the challenges of keeping them. Has anyone had any success in getting any of the species to eat frozen?

ive had success with a few , the easiest being the banded pipefish.

ive usued cyclopeeze to get them to eat , i dont think ive ever gotten one that was already trained on pre pared foods.

very fragile animals though.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:17 PM

tim the toolman is on a distinguished road

I have 2 banded pipes in my mixed reef and I have never seen them eat any dead food. I tried with a cyclopeeze/libe baby brine mix before I moved them into my reef tank and they would only touch the live. They have been living in my big display now for about 6 mnths and seem to be doing fine but I think that's just because of the pod colonies. I have never seen them in store ready to eat dead. I guess overall my answer would be if you don't mind keeping a live brine culture then go foor it to get them started, but if you are not willing to give them live they will most likely starve.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:19 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I've had OK success with dragon pipefish, kind of like a finicky mandarin fish so an established tank with good pod supply and little to no competition is key. My banded experience is not so good.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Dragon-faced Pipefish are a natural predator of red bugs on acros, so goo for a grow out system. But I'd echo the statement that they are like picky mandarins, so you'd have to make sure they were getting enough food.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 PM

Like finicky/picky mandarins? I thought mandarins were picky! This idea is, perhaps permanently, put on the back burner.

I don't mind cultivating foods for a short period of time (raising fry, while getting fish trained on frozen, etc.), but there is no way I want it to be a permanent state of affairs.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Like finicky/picky mandarins? I thought mandarins were picky! This idea is, perhaps permanently, put on the back burner.

I don't mind cultivating foods for a short period of time (raising fry, while getting fish trained on frozen, etc.), but there is no way I want it to be a permanent state of affairs.

last going off my pair of banded pipefish ate everything i added to the tank except flake or pellets, it took some time but they eventually seen alot of what i put in as food.

personally though for a fragtank or even a grow tank id do wrasses they are like guard dogs.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 PM

Aren't most wrasses jumpers? That would be my big concern: in addition to the size of the little tank I'm planning. A pair (or harem) of bluestripe pipefish would probably do alright in it. I'd like to leave the tank uncovered.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Aren't most wrasses jumpers? That would be my big concern: in addition to the size of the little tank I'm planning. A pair (or harem) of bluestripe pipefish would probably do alright in it. I'd like to leave the tank uncovered.

wrasses are def jumpers, but they do a killer job on protecting your investment.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 PM
R.I.P.

you will def have better luck traing your pipefish in a smaller tank but a harder time keeping it fed if it doesnt eat