Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-17-2019, 02:59 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

My god! These little buggers are definitely a handful. That’s the thing with the tiny size, lots of people probably have them but don’t have the skill to detect. Following along on the treatment trials. Keep up the good work as sharing is caring.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:19 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
That’s the thing with the tiny size, lots of people probably have them but don’t have the skill to detect.
Yes that is the reason for posting this, the last two reefers/vendors I purchased acro's from had this pest and they were not aware they had it because I told them after I found it. The black bug that is in my main display and on the last two purchases I have made appear to be the same guy, coincidence? I think not.

I was not aware of it before so I can not say who I got it from and if any corals are actually clean. I had spent most of my time doing careful inspections with my microscope for AEFW and I have seen those often as well. Coral RX works on flatworm, at least dislodges it from the coral, although every time I have found it I have returned the corals to the vendor/reefer but Coral RX has no affect on black bugs.

Most of the corals in my tank are not negatively affected as their growth is good, colours could be a bit better (nit picky). However those that have been affected are not doing great, growth has been reduced, colours are not good and polyps are not fully extended. I cannot say that any corals have died from this but I would not know as I wasn't checking for it over 2 months ago.

Yesterdays treatment: I checked last night before going to bed and there were still quite a few on the orange passion, the amphripods on the rocks did not appear to be affected. I just checked the orange passion and I can't see any black bugs on the coral (just looking through the glass with a 10x optivisor. But it is day time and they are not usually that active during the day. In the past I have always been able to see them during the day, so I am cautiously optimistic but it is way to early to say.

If it hasn't killed them all but reduced the numbers this is good because it means I am getting close to the correct dose.

Last edited by Frogger; 03-17-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:30 AM

Razor Ramon is on a distinguished road

What kind of dose pre week and what size water volume are you using now. Has the medicine killed all your crabs, shrimps , feather dusters and all your other worms, ampapods ,and copepods. Have you experienced a nitrate spike from thing die off .
I hope you find a way to kill them . Pipe fish are predators but you would have to quartine the coral with the fish and do weekly dips . Just a thought if the bugs are immune to the interceptor.These bugs are tough. Ugly to! Wicked pictures!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
What kind of dose pre week and what size water volume are you using now. Has the medicine killed all your crabs, shrimps , feather dusters and all your other worms, ampapods ,and copepods.
I don't have any crabs or shrimp in my main display. As of tonight I cannot see any black bugs but still too premature to start celebrating.

My amphripod population took a huge hit with that last dose I could only see a couple tonight. I have seen a bunch of dead bristle worms. Snails still active. I did a 20% water change tonight. My tank is a 75gallon redsea reefer total volume with sump 90 gallons. I am guessing 80 gallons water maybe a little less once rock is taken into consideration. I will give you a breakdown of exactly what my doses were, how often how much water change ect once I have successfully eradicated this menace.

My tank is a nitrogen sink. I have never had readable nitrates and I have to add nitrates (NaNO3) daily to keep my nitrates at .5ppm. I have not seen a change in the nitrate usage. I will check again tonight to see if that has changed after the pod population has been wiped out.

I have a melanarus wrasse but not sure if he has taken a liking to the black bug. Likely not because the wrasse is asleep in the sand when the black bugs are active.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:12 AM
Gold Member

No change in nitrate
Old 03-18-2019, 01:49 PM

Thank you , for doing this thread it will be a great help with other reefers to come . You are very detailed in what you do and it’s great that you pass it on . Thanks I’ll keep following in on your war on these tough coral bugs.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:32 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Tagging along. Thanks for the detail write-up Glen.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 03-20-2019, 04:44 AM
Gold Member

Tuesday night update. Last dosed interceptor Saturday am, did a 20% water change on Sunday pm, turned skimmer on Sunday pm and added carbon on Monday.
I am happy to say that I have not seen a single black bug since Saturday night. However I have 37+ acros (including cuttings) and I really can only see one side of about a half dozen of them. I have not taken any out of the tank and put under a microscope. Often these little buggers hide inside the corallites behind the polyps so they are not always visible. But considering on Saturday before I did the latest dose I could easily see about 30 of these guys on my orange passion. Under the microscope there were easily more than a hundred on the coral.

No changes to any of my water parameters (nitrates, phosphates, alkalinity and calcium usage).

Maybe its me but I can see extended polyps during the day on corals that normally do not readily extend their polyps and usually only at night if they do. I actually see "some" (I use that word loosely) polyps on my RR Pink Floyd. I have had the coral for almost 2 years, it has never grown a millimeter although it has maintained its colour all this time. It has been 1.5 years since I have seen a polyp on it.

Keeping fingers crossed, will do another treatment (hopefully last) at the same dosage about 2.75 times recommend on Saturday just to be sure. Copepods are either free spawners or broadcasters (females carry eggs until hatching) so I do not think that unhatched eggs are an issue, second dose should take care of any extras just in case.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:51 AM
Gold Member

Friday night update. I was getting hopeful. I have been looking closely at my corals, orange passion particularly. I have been checking day and night at least 3 to 4 times a day using a pair of 10x optivisors (true 10x power). These are about the most powerful magnifying glasses you can get. Way more powerful than any hand lens. I hadn't seen one black bug all week. I started thinking maybe I got them all.

Tonight I pulled out the dissecting microscope (true 40x power) pulled the orange passion out of the tank and into a glass of water making sure not to expose the coral to the air and carefully inspected the coral looking into the corallites and between the polyps and I found 1 very active black bug. Where there is 1 there is likely more. There is also a good chance when I put the bright lights on on the microscope that the black bugs either hide under the polyps or go to the underside of the coral. So I do not know how many remain on this frag.

The good news is there were 3 to 4 of these guys per corallite (polyp) last week before I did the last treatment where as this week I could only find 1 on the entire coral.

I know my dosage is getting close. I will treat again tomorrow with a rate 10-15% higher than last week. This should hopefully be the killing dose. Unfortunately my amphipods and bristleworms will take another hit. Hopefully some will survive and re-populate the tank.

On another note I have only been able to find 1 remaining tubeworm (had hundreds before I began treatment) and the population of bristleworms is way down. Unfortunately this drug has had no effect on vermetid snails, montipora nudibranch and hydroids. I was hoping for some collateral damage.

Looks like I will have to re-seed the tank with healthy microfauna from my other tanks after the treatment is complete.

Last edited by Frogger; 03-23-2019 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:30 PM

Hope your dose kills them all on the 4th week treatment. Too bad there is so little known on dose size and water volume. Cutting up pills int 4 peaces then guessing water and if that’s enough medicine. The medicine is time baced for potency after 8hrs the tank is consuming it trough biodiversity of the system.
These tough bug needed to be hit hard right from the first dose. But who knows
The impact on the tank or the inhabitants. Hopefully your next dose is like a rain of death to those little buggers an atom bomb you nuke them all !!! And your not breading a resistant strain of a alread tough bug. Keep us all in the loop I hope you the best !!!!