Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 01-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSlater View Post
Tank has been clear from ich since.
No, ich just isn't visible and active right now. I'll bet you, if you hit a power outage and temp drops drastically, or some other major stressor, you'll see ich again. Also, I'd bet that without the UV, you would have seen similar results.

Sure, UV can kill (or otherwise impact the ich lifecycle) but it's never going to clear a system of the parasite.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:10 PM

DSlater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
No, ich just isn't visible and active right now. I'll bet you, if you hit a power outage and temp drops drastically, or some other major stressor, you'll see ich again. Also, I'd bet that without the UV, you would have seen similar results.

Sure, UV can kill (or otherwise impact the ich lifecycle) but it's never going to clear a system of the parasite.
Fair enough. I have no way of telling if the ich is lying dormant in the tank now.

I have added three decent sized tangs since then. Had to black out the tank for days, add mirrors for distraction, and rework some rock to slow down the fighting.

Having a sample size of one, I really haven't done enough research to say UV's are the answer or not. Just seems to have worked well for me at the time.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:15 PM

Cody is on a distinguished road

I really don't want to get into a UV debate, but I've always used one, and will continue to use it. To think a UV will be a miracle care taker for your tank is foolish, but I also think it's foolish to think it doesn't serve any benefits.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:34 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I have been keeping porcupine puffers for years and this species is another ick-magnet, like so many tangs. The only way I've had any success keeping one ick-free is when I have a UV sterilizer on its tank. Once I had one that we had for years and it was healthy, but I pulled its UV to put on a tank with a powder blue tang, and sure enough, within a week or two, Poofie developed ick.

UV will help reduce the number of ick spores in the water as long as it is used correctly (i.e. good bulb, high enough wattage, slow water flow = longer disinfection time) and that is what it did for Poofie. When I took the UV off Poofie's tank, the poor guy got icky next time he was stressed. Up till then he'd been ick-free for over a year.

As others have stated, UV should never be considered a cure-all or even that effective as a cure once your tank is heavily infested. Too often the fish will be too far gone and the ick will be too prevalent in your display tank for the UV to work as you hope. However, as a component of an overall ick-prevention program, my own experience has shown me that a good UV sterilizer (high wattage, low flow) has a place in it. I now keep one on my puffer tank at all times and its kept the puffer ick-free (knock on wood, knock on wood).

I know several reefers I respect who swear by UV and others who are completely convinced UV is useless in a reef system. Each reefer has to decide for themselves whether a UV is something they want to invest in.

Anthony
Old 01-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Poofie???
Old 01-03-2015, 12:13 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Poofie???
Well, when it got scared at first, it went "POOF" into a big spikey balloon
Old 01-11-2015, 06:22 PM

crackedcorn is on a distinguished road

Tank transfer method reads like a real good way to go if one has the equipment to do it.