Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-24-2018, 01:40 PM

chrisreef is on a distinguished road
Default The beginnings of a new Fluval Edge II 12g Nano Reef

Quick introduction: I got my feet wet 15 years ago with a 50 gal FOWLR tank and Bob Fenner's book on reef-keeping. I ran that tank for several years, and when I moved to a smaller apartment I moved to a 14 gallon Oceanic BioCube. The BioCube ran for five years, until I gave it to my parents. Sadly, the tank melted down last year due to a faulty heater. It's been several years since I've kept a nano tank myself.

Last week, my wife and I saw a Fluval Edge 12g at a LFS and fell in love. We've got a small place, and the footprint was just right for our living room. We initially planned to start it as a planted FW tank, and then I found all of my old reef-keeping equipment and starting a new reef tank became irresistible.

As you can see, we've got a blank slate. LR is looking pretty barren - came from a local guy shutting down his 200g reef tank, but I hope to encourage whatever coralline algae there is to grow. I forgot how dusty the aragonite could be, and failed to wash it before adding it to the tank.. and of course started a dust storm worthy of Mars. Filter floss in the HOB filter took care of that after a few hours.

I'm thinking about cutting the rim of the plastic lip to create an overflow, and construct a plexi overflow box that I can hide inside of the stock (plastic) stand.

I scavenged a 32w Rapid CREE LED upgrade kit from the old BioCube and its protein skimmer. Hopefully I can integrate those into the build over the coming weeks too. I'm in no rush, and I'm just excited to be back in the hobby after so many years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0523.JPG.jpg (22.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by chrisreef; 04-24-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:28 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Glad to see you have interest in the hobby and have made it a reality again. I also noticed your in Edmonton . What are your plans for live stock and corals? I wouldn’t sweat coralline algae as you can easily seed it from a frag with some on the plug, a piece of LR rubble etc.

I love the look of a fresh sand bed before diatoms hit
Old 04-24-2018, 04:23 PM

chrisreef is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm really open to suggestions for stocking the tank. My wife loves clowns, a percula clown with some kind of BTA might be nice for her. I'm a big fan of zoanthids and polyps myself, so I'd like to get a few tiny frags to get those started at some point.

Thanks for the advice re: seeding algae! I'll give that a try for sure.

Ha. I have many, many memories of my first diatom bloom and the months I spent trying to get it back under control...