Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-30-2017, 03:24 AM

AquaAddict is on a distinguished road

I have been using Vibrant in my tank for a month or so to keep the algae down and it seem to be working. It even got rid of a small of bryopsis.

As for your comment that your fish are fat, it may be possible you are feeding your fish a little too much.

AquaAddict
Old 06-30-2017, 03:49 AM

I ran out of time on my last post so I just wanted add my two cents worth on problem heaters. I had changed to a titanium heater years ago for my marine tank because the glass ones could not maintain a steady temperature.

I now have had a Chinese thermostat (EBay -$30) attached my Finnex heater for my marine tank and one attached to a glass heater for my freshwater tank for approx 4 years with perfect results. These thermostats are designed for use beer and wine making but my handy husband attached my heaters to them and now temperatures in both tanks are very steady and the digital displays are so easy to read.

AquaAddict
Old 06-30-2017, 02:49 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAddict View Post
I ran out of time on my last post so I just wanted add my two cents worth on problem heaters. I had changed to a titanium heater years ago for my marine tank because the glass ones could not maintain a steady temperature.

I now have had a Chinese thermostat (EBay -$30) attached my Finnex heater for my marine tank and one attached to a glass heater for my freshwater tank for approx 4 years with perfect results. These thermostats are designed for use beer and wine making but my handy husband attached my heaters to them and now temperatures in both tanks are very steady and the digital displays are so easy to read.

AquaAddict
AA is there YouTube videos on how to add Tstat to heater?

I wouldn't mind doing the same for mine, I currently run 2 titanium heaters, 300&500 because in the winters they run full time, my garage floor is very cool in the summer and even colder winter months.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 07-01-2017, 03:15 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Your probably right with over feeding. I'm thinking the frozen cubes of mysis probably didn't help. I cut back on the feeding and will do a large 40% water change. This brown algae is a pain right now as it keeps latching in to my frags and my torch won't extend. Oddly enough but my Zoas are suffering the most.

I'm just hoping my tank is not in the early stages of dinoflagellates or a Major diatom bloom. Ugh only time will tell. I have been hammering down on reducing nitrates and phosphates. Hopefully they come down enough that I can maintain them. Here's to hoping!

Lost my red starfish unfortunately and my purple one isn't looking the best either. Hopefully my Salifert Nitate test kit gets here sooner then later as I don't know about the API test kit. I can't seem to get it register anything other then 40ppm ....ugh.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:40 AM

Sorry, TD. I don't know. You would have to search on line and see what you can find.

If you do buy one of these thermostats, just pm me and I am sure we would be able to help you set it up. I don't think it is super difficult. What I know from watching Peter (hubby), he turns the attached control on the heater to full power, plugs it into the thermostat and then there is some wiring to do.

AquaAddict
Old 07-04-2017, 06:28 AM

For the record this brown stringy algae is driving me nuts!!! I have lost 2 Frags because it keeps smothering my sps. I have used a net and siphoned as much out as possible. Possibly dinoflagellates (I hope not).
Old 07-13-2017, 01:39 AM

Lost 2 fags from the brown bubble algae, it simply covered them and then major RTN occurred. I even tried to brush the stuff off during a WC, it came off and I netted it out in the water column. Everything looked good and bam, it was all back

Old 07-18-2017, 03:15 AM

I lost 3 coral frags (smothered with this stringy goo) and I'm down to a minimum on my LR. Mine was more brown and it had bubbles at the tips. It would come out of jo where on the coral tips and smother them. I tried blowing them off etc. With no luck. Did a 25% WC today and it's very minalmal.

I'm hopIng it burns out and doesn't cover anymore of my small colonies. I should add that it really effects the SPS the most. I also run chaeto along with bio pellets plus started redsea NOPOX.