Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-30-2017, 04:18 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

So today I found that my chaeto has disintegrated. My guess is the cree led light I was using didn't provide enough light. I'm also thinking that maybe there wasn't enough flow through the chaeto. I know for a fact that nutrients weren't the issue as nitrates and phosphates are present. I changed the bulb to a CFL 100w 6500k which I have read on the web has worked for many. I have also added my colbalt MK400 powerhead in the fuge to add some circulation.

Did a 20% WC today, started half of AF Reef Salt and half IO Reef Crystals. Slowly transitioning to AF and almost done all my IO. I will test my parameters tomorrow to see what they are at.

I think it's cool that the salt bucket comes with a certificate of the parameters. I used the scoop provided but was unable to figure out how much salt to mix salinity at 1.026. I kept adding to the bucket and tested with my refractometer until the number was reached.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:22 PM

Question

So the other day I noticed my temp was up to 81 degrees Fahrenheit from its normal 79 degrees Fahrenheit. I assumed this was because of the warm weather we have had (30 degrees Celsius). To my surprise when I was looking at my digital temperature gauge, I noticed my one Eheim jäger heater light was on. I physically felt the heater and it was in fact heating... what gives?

I looked in to the matter further and noticed the second heater (exact same heater) did not have the light activated and was not heating. I double check both thermostats and they had not been changed. I proceeded to turn down each a click for good measures, unplugged the one and then plugged it back in. The heater light was on for a bit then cycled off. Within a minute or so the light was back on and the heater was heating already above temperature water. The other heater remained off like it should!

I have unplugged the heater and now have the other one heating the water. Temperature is now back to 79-80 and is being held there. The heater is cycling on and off. I'm guessing my other heater has stuck in or is faulty in some way. I have only had these for 6 months, can't find anything about the product warranty.

I will replace the heater most likely today. Should I get another of the same or does anyone else recommend a more reliable heater they are using?
Old 06-03-2017, 02:06 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

This is a common issue with heaters and reason why I always recommend that people use two smaller heaters ike you are rather than one larger one. In all honesty, I don't think there are any good heaters anymore, which makes the 2 heater method more important. I have a bunch of really old Jager heaters - they used to be made very well, and now they are not. I've had better luck with Cobalt NeoTherm heaters than Jager but I've also heard of the NeoTherm heaters blowing up (not quite as dramatic as it sounds).

SPS fanatic.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:43 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Titanium with temp control on top of apex control, because my tank is in the garage with no insulation the temp drops pretty low so I use a 300 and 500w titanium the smaller one goes on first then larger if needed. The upside to a cold garage in the winter is a cool garage in the summer.

I see lots of people using the glass ones and while they're not supposed to be submersed, most people do and that is just a disaster waiting to happen, house fire all the way. Never happened to me but when sparks happen underwater it's just a matter of time before the cord catches and then boom. I had a stupid stealth before and the thing did exactly what I described above. The thing with glass is if it does explode I am worried about the glass shards in your sump and possibly getting electrocuted whenyou stick your hand in not knowing.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips

Last edited by tang daddy; 06-03-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
This is a common issue with heaters and reason why I always recommend that people use two smaller heaters ike you are rather than one larger one. In all honesty, I don't think there are any good heaters anymore, which makes the 2 heater method more important. I have a bunch of really old Jager heaters - they used to be made very well, and now they are not. I've had better luck with Cobalt NeoTherm heaters than Jager but I've also heard of the NeoTherm heaters blowing up (not quite as dramatic as it sounds).
Your absolutely right Mindy! It's all about safe guarding against failure. That's the problem with mass production these days, quality suffers. I heard the same about the cobalt Neo's, although the LFS assured me that Cobalt had corrected this issue. I will take a look and find a suitable replacement. At least I'm diligent in checking the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Titanium with temp control on top of apex control, because my tank is in the garage with no insulation the temp drops pretty low so I use a 300 and 500w titanium the smaller one goes on first then larger if needed. The upside to a cold garage in the winter is a cool garage in the summer.

I see lots of people using the glass ones and while they're not supposed to be submersed, most people do and that is just a disaster waiting to happen, house fire all the way. Never happened to me but when sparks happen underwater it's just a matter of time before the cord catches and then boom. I had a stupid stealth before and the thing did exactly what I described above. The thing with glass is if it does explode I am worried about the glass shards in your sump and possibly getting electrocuted whenyou stick your hand in not knowing.
no need for a chiller for summer . Ya that would not be fun trying to remove glass shards and like you mentioned not realizing and doing a hand dip. Thanks for the information! I will see what I can find for a replacement. As of right now the defective heater is taking a ride in to the trash.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:23 PM

Looking at the tank today and noticed the clowns had round 2 for eggs. It looks like there are even more this time! Also was wondering if anyone has been able to breed Trochus Snails? I ended up buying 5 and placing them in my Refugium in hopes that they will be provided sanctuary. I would like them to breed and shuffle the larger snails in to the DT as needed.

Here is to hoping
Old 06-07-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
I used the scoop provided but was unable to figure out how much salt to mix salinity at 1.026. I kept adding to the bucket and tested with my refractometer until the number was reached.
Anyone have an answer to this? I always test my buckets with a refractometer however it is annoying to have to add water or more salt in each bucket.

Couple new photos.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:59 AM

Just a quick update:
Clowns have another round of eggs as of yesterday. Still battling high nitrates (20ppm) and high phosphates (0.17ppm). I have been running a reactor of biopellets and recently bought another to run GFO again. I also took another pick at the cat with a ball of chaeto.

I have noticed some more coralline algae forming (not nearly as purple as some people's tanks) and my frags are starting to grow out a bit. I'm hoping with the lower nutrients along with my consistent ALK/CAL/MAG that I will see some more growth. The fish all seem happy and fat so that's a plus. Here are a couple photos under the moonlights

Old 06-28-2017, 06:19 AM

Exclamation

So today I noticed an aggressive brown algae on my live rock and on some of my corals. Some of my Zoas are struggling to open and it's best described as stringy brown algae with bubbles that appear and disappear. I checked PO4 which is 0.15 ppm (high I know) and NO3 approximately 20-40ppm (API test kit). I am ordering a new nitrate kit as it's very tough to distinguish the difference in colour shades.

The only thing that has changed in the tank is the intensity of my led lights which I ramped up 20% and carbon dosing via reactor with biopellets. I took a quick photo to show one of the areas that has this brown algae present. My white gonipora is starting to get covered in this brown algae preventing it from having plump extension.

Please Help!!' No idea where to start with this and don't want to start chanting a bunch of things. Haven't had this issue before as this algae seems to want to cover my sps, LPS and Zoas.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:56 AM

Might be too late for my red star fish as one of his legs has disintegrated and the other one is also showing signs. My purple star fish is loving but is also showing signs of deterioration. My guess is the nitrates being higher then usual are causing this.

Did a 40g WC tonight and will most likely do one in 3 days or at least weekly for the next bit until I can sort this out.