Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-10-2014, 03:36 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAreFriendsNotFood View Post
Read their contract carefully! Not only are you giving square access to your bank account to deposit funds, but also to withdrawl.
No different then any other CC companys

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 03-10-2014, 03:37 AM

SteveCGY is on a distinguished road

This thing is hilarious. Reminds me of something a drug dealer would use
Old 03-10-2014, 03:44 AM

NickC is on a distinguished road

2.75%-3.5%??? When most major credit cards only charge 1-3% per transaction. And it all depends what type of card is being used. Those that pull out their travel points cards or high cashback cards are charging you the higher percentage. Cash is always king. At the good lfs that is, when I pay in cash I always get a better price.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2014, 05:33 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

So this thing is a credit card reader? And they charge up to 3.75% per swipe? The credit card company also charges merchants a percentage per transaction, no? So now if I'm a merchant I'm paying both the credit card company and this square company. Could end up being close to 10% per transaction/swipe. Someone's making a bunch of money.... at the expense of the merchant and ultimately the customer. I think I'd rather take a personal cheque. Maybe old school & take a bit more time, but in most cases there is a recourse if the cheque bounces.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:50 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

The first time I used one of these was at a food truck. I was super nervous I would end up paying $40,000 for those gyros or whatever it was I ate that day but as far as I can tell it all worked out OK in the end.

Second time I used one I bought a kiteboard off a fellow who runs a kiteboarding school pretty much anywhere where the wind blows so basically out of his car, I guess.

Oh I think the dude at Reef Wonderland uses something similar too. I remember now I had to use his ipad to pay for an urchin.

Anyhow, from a buyers perspective once you get past the whole "OMG it's just some dude with a phone" thing, it seems like a neat idea to me. I can't speak from experience about the vendor's perspective of things, but it seems to me that they are becoming more and more widely used in any case.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:33 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Could end up being close to 10% per transaction/swipe.

no not that, it will be the 3.75 as the visa fees are built into that, so the visa/mc/ect swipe fees plus square's fees add up to 3.75 which is high, when I worked t the store the visa charges were .75% up to 100.00, 1.2% 100 to 1000.00 and higher for larger amount. thats why a car dealership doesn't like it when you go in and buy a truck on your credit card . don't forget you can negotiate your rates also, this fee also includes the card reader and maintenance.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:52 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
no not that, it will be the 3.75 as the visa fees are built into that, so the visa/mc/ect swipe fees plus square's fees add up to 3.75 which is high, when I worked t the store the visa charges were .75% up to 100.00, 1.2% 100 to 1000.00 and higher for larger amount. thats why a car dealership doesn't like it when you go in and buy a truck on your credit card . don't forget you can negotiate your rates also, this fee also includes the card reader and maintenance.

Steve
Aha, now I know why the Toyota salesperson was very happy to take my personal cheque. Of course the credit limit on my credit card would not have come close to the purchase price anyhow... & who pays cash for an automobile these days? But I digress..... seems the square is here to stay.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:54 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
Aha, now I know why the Toyota salesperson was very happy to take my personal cheque. Of course the credit limit on my credit card would not have come close to the purchase price anyhow... & who pays cash for an automobile these days? But I digress..... seems the square is here to stay.
I bought my truck on my card, then paid off the card the next day, I wanted the aero plan miles

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Yup, put my the entire cost of my home reno on my card and then went to Cuba with the travel points.