Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-13-2011, 06:16 AM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

Firmware flash worked, then 10 minutes later it crapped out again.

Base unit must be fried. Stupid electronics. I guess they don't build them for Apollo missions.

I'll have to call up Neptune when I get back and do the debugging thing. Doubt this will be fixed by xmas.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:42 PM

Mitchell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Mitchell

uh oh...sorry to hear man. Is this a common problem with the Apex systems? Im looking into either the Apex or the RK
Old 12-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
uh oh...sorry to hear man. Is this a common problem with the Apex systems? Im looking into either the Apex or the RK
Based off my reading in the Neptune forum on RC, no, this isn't common. I've been running mine now for a while, no issues at all. However, like all things in this hobby (or any other hobby), there are always units that fail for some reason. Support from Neptune is great, so should a problem be encountered, it's generally corrected promptly. Of course if you're leaving town the next day, you're still kinda screwed....
Old 12-13-2011, 01:08 PM

Mitchell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Mitchell

awesome great to hear as I really want the Apex over the RK
Old 12-13-2011, 04:31 PM

BigAl07 is on a distinguished road

How much are you "controlling" with your APEX?

Any visible sign of problems (unit got wet, dropped etc)?

Were there any warning signs before it "Poofed"?

If you don't get it resolved you might want to look into a more robust controller ie GHL ProfiLux.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:49 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

Were you using this controller during all your new MH bulb issue's in your other thread? Could the constant tripping have affected it? Or the overloading/whatever the hell was going on?
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...threadid=80919
Old 12-13-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampshade View Post
Were you using this controller during all your new MH bulb issue's in your other thread? Could the constant tripping have affected it? Or the overloading/whatever the hell was going on?
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...threadid=80919
I would imagine all those ups n downs would be hard on the internals of the controller.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:35 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl07 View Post

If you don't get it resolved you might want to look into a more robust controller ie GHL ProfiLux.
Based on what? IMO the Apex is every bit as "robust" as the Profilux at a lot less money.
Support is awesome, Kurt gets right back to you, lots of documentation and very few issues reported on RC. Mine's been rock solid every day I've used it. Easy to setup and easy to use, very useful access over my phone.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:47 AM

reefgirl189 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Based on what? IMO the Apex is every bit as "robust" as the Profilux at a lot less money.
Support is awesome, Kurt gets right back to you, lots of documentation and very few issues reported on RC. Mine's been rock solid every day I've used it. Easy to setup and easy to use, very useful access over my phone.
Precisely the reason/s we chose the Apex.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Based on First Hand Experience? Yes indeed! I've been there done that! Don't take it personally against you or anyone else.

I've owned several "controllers" and for my needs, for my reliability requirements etc the ProfiLux is second to none. Of course many people will disagree but most of them haven't owned the ProfiLux so it comes back to the "this cost more... yadda yadda uadda" debate which is pointless. Of course if you look at the "meat and taters" of comparable units and compare you'll see that ProfiLux only appears to be costly if you don't dig any deeper than that. C'est la vie!

If your APEX works flawlessly for you then that's really all that matters in the end. I merely offered a suggestion to someone who is having extreme APEX problems from someone who has been there and found that the ProfiLux is a much better fit.

If this ruffled some feathers I apologize as that was not the intention nor to start the "My controller is bigger than your controller debate".

Allen