Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 02-28-2015, 12:56 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Doing the math, I think I may actually lose more fish in QT than not. I think CP bothered this guy, so not sure I'd treat again. My anthias school still hasn't fully recovered from the treatment either, still hiding and not eating.

One thing that bothers me is I had lots of feeder zoas in the tank when I treated, perhaps these released something that set this in motion. I dunno.

I'll try again.
while i read the instructions for the ichshield i didnt follow them lol i broadcasted that food by the handfulls in a 500g reef with zoas, sps, clams, anemones etc etc. no issues for me

i do believe that some fish just don't take to meds as easy as some others do.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:07 AM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

Well I'm a little late, and sorry to bring up oxygen again... But if this is truly the issue, I can't believe someone hasn't suggested reducing temperature. Not sure what you guys are running at, but reducing water temp will reduce oxygen demand by slowing metabolism, and also increase dissolved oxygen. Most corals do fine as low as 76f, so it would be worth a shot
Old 02-28-2015, 01:20 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikellini View Post
Well I'm a little late, and sorry to bring up oxygen again... But if this is truly the issue, I can't believe someone hasn't suggested reducing temperature. Not sure what you guys are running at, but reducing water temp will reduce oxygen demand by slowing metabolism, and also increase dissolved oxygen. Most corals do fine as low as 76f, so it would be worth a shot
No, this fish death had nothing to do with O2. Tank was super oxygenated. This was MI dying because it's a cloudy Friday.

As for temp, SPS growth is near 0 at 76 from my previous tank running at 76 O2 difference over 3 degrees is likely negligible
Old 02-28-2015, 01:23 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
while i read the instructions for the ichshield i didnt follow them lol i broadcasted that food by the handfulls in a 500g reef with zoas, sps, clams, anemones etc etc. no issues for me

i do believe that some fish just don't take to meds as easy as some others do.
I dosed CP directly, not food (much)
Old 02-28-2015, 01:26 AM

kobelka is on a distinguished road

Bummer.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:34 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Geez dude, rotten luck lately

Any chance your QT is contaminated ? Although you had losses in your DT too ... could something you're using in both tanks be a culprit ? Or was the DT thing an oxygen issue while you were away ( I think you mentioned that )

Maybe hypo next time ?
Old 02-28-2015, 01:41 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Geez dude, rotten luck lately

Any chance your QT is contaminated ? Although you had losses in your DT too ... could something you're using in both tanks be a culprit ? Or was the DT thing an oxygen issue while you were away ( I think you mentioned that )

Maybe hypo next time ?
Wondering about dying zoas in QT. Only had issues after medicating, which would have ****ed off the zoas.
DT was O2 related, this wasn't. No cross contamination between tanks. Lost 2 anthias as well.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:47 AM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
No, this fish death had nothing to do with O2. Tank was super oxygenated. This was MI dying because it's a cloudy Friday.

As for temp, SPS growth is near 0 at 76 from my previous tank running at 76 O2 difference over 3 degrees is likely negligible
SPS is pretty nebulous, but if you're talking shallow water acropora from warm reefs, I guess growth would be pretty slow at 76.I run at 77-78, and have no issues.

Oxygen difference over 2 degrees Celsius at our range of temperatures would be around 3.5%. But I'm sure the demand for oxygen at a lower temp is at least that much less, probably more. So not insignificant. But do what you like just a suggestion...

Further reading:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/eb/index.php
Old 02-28-2015, 03:35 AM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about the loss Brad. Always tough not really being able to point to something definitive.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:34 AM

Ryan7 is on a distinguished road

My MI success resulting from the following;

1. No QT. this fish is much too sensitive to any treatments. Furthermore, any QT that has been treated will not sustain any of the valuable food sources it needs in rock, sand ect.. which most people do not keep in their QT's. If the fish is to be in QT, keep it untreated and set it up as mentioning below.

2. Observing this fish in the wild on many occasions on different reefs, I noticed all of their feeding or "picking" was at the bottom of the reef in the rock rubble, no sand. When I set my tank up with this in mind, I made a whole section of the tank with a rubble bottom, about a 2x4' area. As the tank matured, I could see the rubble covered with sponges and other life. When the MI went in, it would not eat anything I added, and I tried everything. It did however graze at the rubble, which I believe sustained it long enough until it eventually started eating what the rest of the fish ate, which took about a week. The best part about the rubble, was that the MI could only eat what it could reach between the rubble, so if it was picking at a sponge, some of the sponge under the rubble would survive to grow back, giving the MI a constant food source, or at least one that wouldn't be decimated.

Had more but have to cut short - baby calling...