Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 02-15-2015, 05:15 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default Moorish Idol - Take 2

As many know, due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to essentially abandon my tank for nearly a month. In that month, my very healthy and long kept MI was lost.
I've obtained another, in great shape, apparently net caught, and within 24 hours has been caught nibbling PE mysis.

Looking for any other tips and tricks people have had luck with in getting these guys eating well.
I have someone scouring the beach for sponge, I have some in my sump, will be picking up some clams from the seafood dept today. Nori is loaded in clip.

Anything I haven't thought about?

And just to be clear, this is a "how to feed a finicky fish" thread, not an invite to discuss morality in fish keeping TIA for keeping it on track.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:30 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I haven't kept a MI, but there are two at the LFS here that are eating PELLETS. Wtf?!

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:32 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

My last one ate everything. Pellets, nori, mysis, anything that would fit in it's mouth. I know of another member here that just got one that eats pellets already.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
My last one ate everything. Pellets, nori, mysis, anything that would fit in it's mouth. I know of another member here that just got one that eats pellets already.
Nice. I never saw one eating pellets at an LFS only 2 days landed though. They be gooders. I wish my tank was big enough for a MI. It's one of my holy grail fish.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:37 PM
Just a guy..

Unfortunately they're very tough. My last one was in the LFS display for over a year, very fat. I'm not happy it died (with my other big fish) during my absence
Old 02-15-2015, 07:55 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Many years ago, I had one outgrow my tank and I only fed it mostly Ocean Nutrition flake, which isn't available here anymore, with the occasional nori and Mysis and freeze dried plankton to supplement it. But I'm sure New Life Spectrum is all you need and some supplement.

Its been a while since I mentioned it on the forum, but here goes. The Idol is the most highly oxygen demanding fish I've ever kept. Angels were my 2nd most highly oxygen demanding fish I've kept. When I've unplugged my aerator/skimmer, after some time I would see the Idol laying on the sand gasping unable to swim, while the other fish are fine (including tangs and angels). It would slowly recover after I turned the skimmer back on. Would have loved to have recorded this on video for people. After my Idol was adopted, one time I left the skimmer unplugged overnight (with only powerheads and aquaclear providing circulation/aeration), the next morning, my well established angel was dead. All else was fine. I just couldn't get enough o2 into my tank (for high oxygen demanding fish) without an air diffuser such as the protein skimmer (I had powerheads and aquaclears going only). It was repeatable as it would happen once or twice more in future years every time I forgot to plug my skimmer back in overnight. It was always the angels, and nothing else, and always found dead the next morning after they were established for a long time. I had a DO meter and found that my morning DO levels were very low even with the skimmer on so without the skimmer running at night, it was just clearly lethal to the fish that require the most oxygen which happens to be the Idol (which luckily was adopted by someone before I had my mishaps) followed by my dwarf angels. Sorry, I know you don't want to discuss anything but diet here but I've been silent on this for a few years already. I'm not planning to write about this topic too often so I thought I would try to get this in here. My feeling is that the diet requirement is a bit overrated and I know people will disagree with me. But I'm pretty confident I could keep another one and not be too concerned about the diet and it will outgrow my tank again. Given what I said, I agree that this makes the Idol hard to keep due to its high maintenance and low tolerance for mistakes and should be left to advanced aquarists.

Last edited by Samw; 02-15-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw View Post
Its been a while since I mentioned it on the forum, but here goes. The Idol is the most highly oxygen demanding fish I've ever kept.
Interesting observation.

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:42 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Interesting observation.
As Sam and I have discussed offline, I agree. This is what killed my MI and larger angels.

I also agree, based on the one I had, that the diet isn't something magical. It was healthy, fat, active and showed no fear. Ate anything offered, in double portions.

Mine is currently showing down on some PE mysis, and I'm about to add some banana. (Ya, I know....)
Old 02-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Just a guy..

Banana not going over huge, but nibbling. He has started eating pellets though, so off to a good start.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:56 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Add some cheap brown zoas as a great treat that they can graze on all day without worry of polluting the tank with food decomposition. If they don't find it right away as a food source, they will eventually. Not needed but will be a good treat to give them something natural to graze on while waiting for their next meal.