Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Polls

View Poll Results: What is Your Primary Food Choice for Your Tank?
Flake 5 4.59%
Pellet 36 33.03%
Frozen 61 55.96%
Homemade 6 5.50%
Other 1 0.92%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2017, 06:05 PM

604reefer is on a distinguished road

Newb reefer here, only 4 months in, been an interesting read.

Right now I feed my fish:

1. New Life Spectrum - Small Fish Formula Pellets, a pinch 2x per day
2. Omega One Marine Flakes with Garlic - few times a week, they go crazy for this stuff!!!
3. PE Frozen Small Mysis Shrimp - use chopsticks to feed LPS coral and fire shrimp/emerald crab, my fish are so small and don't seem to eat much of this

Fish are small - 2 clowns, a chromis, and a midas blenny.

When you feed frozen food do you let it thaw and chop it up, then toss it in?

I'm never sure if I'm feeding enough! The fish don't seem to have grown a lot in the few months I've had them, but I see them everyday so it's hard to tell!

P.s. I love this place, everyone has been awesome.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:18 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Welcome

When I feed my frozen pe mysis I will let it thaw in a cup with a little garlic. I'm sure people toss them right in as well. As far as feeding, watch your nitrates and phosphates to guide you if there is too much food leftover. As well if you see everything sitting on the bottom not being eaten, this is a good indication that it was too much. If the fish are eating everything then they are hungry! My fish will generally shy away when they are full
Old 05-18-2017, 07:29 PM

BC564 is on a distinguished road

I go to no frills or T&T and they sell a frozen product called Seafood Medley. In this package is shrimp, squid/octopus, scallops, oysters, fish etc. The package itself is Approx. $3. I buy 2 or 3 at a time but only prepare one package every 2-3 weeks as needed. I bought a little salsa/ food processor for about $15. I take out the frozen package and place it in the sink for the day to thaw. That night I slowly put in processor and chop it up to the consistency I want. I also add mashed garlic to the mix. I then place in ice cube tays I bought at dollarama and usually get about 3 trays full. I feed them one of these cubes per day. Holding the cube in the tank and slowly thawing chunks off. I do also feed algae grazer fish pellets and some flake whenever I feel like it. Also put one sheet of Nori on a clip daily for the grazers. All the fish love the home made mash.