Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 11-05-2008, 06:26 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road
Default Surf and turf

Since I've been building my vivarium for dart frogs I've had this vision of a saltwater vivarium or paludarium that combines a reef tank and some type of landmass with real plants and possibly other critters like land hermits.
The thought of a wavebox pushing waves against a beach or shoreline would be pretty cool.
Maybe an open top tank with an atoll in the middle with mangroves or a combo of fake/real mangrove roots for a background.
You could make a false bottom and a beach but it would take up a lot of room to get a gradual slope.
I've been doing some searching but can't find any examples of such a tank. (probably for good reason)
Any ideas?
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 11-05-2008, 06:32 PM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

This sounds like it could be an awesome tank. I hope you have luck with it and keep posting pictures.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:03 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Have seen two tanks similar to you describe and though I might be able to swing the space, doubt I'll ever do. Still keep thinking about them.

On tank years ago at a LFS that had mudskippers thought was fantastic. Rather front to back, one side had a planted land area with plants then sloped into the water and gave a beach area in between. Having only seen mudskiimers on TV, I was impressed.

Other tank is at the Edm Telus (Space/Science) Ctr in the kids area. It's a long narrow wave tank with a gravel beach area. Idea is you create wave and then watch it crest. With macro and softies would be great with the motion. Biggest negative I would think is keeping the viewing pane clear. Thinking it's like the glass area above the water line in my sump, little salt creep, little scum and bubbles.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:13 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

An issue of FAMA last year sometime had a tide pool tank that someone had built into their system; Was a very neat idea how it worked