Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 09-13-2010, 05:47 PM

nemodad is on a distinguished road

Ya pretty far, but thanks for the offer!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:40 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i saw an ad on here in buy sell for a 24" guiesman 150 w mh with 2 x 24w t5 for a reasonable price...

maybe 3 days ago... not sure if they ship tho..
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:56 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuappo View Post
i saw an ad on here in buy sell for a 24" guiesman 150 w mh with 2 x 24w t5 for a reasonable price...

maybe 3 days ago... not sure if they ship tho..
Those are stellar fixtures! I've drooled over them a few times.

I remember seeing an ad on here for someone selling a bunch of fishneedit halide fixtures for pretty cheap. I can't remember if they are straight up halides or combos but the price was right to get started with at least.

Have you checked eBay? Look around at sites like JL, Bulk Reef Supply and a few of the other sponsors around here. There are some good deals to be had. A friend of mine actually called up a store and asked if they had any used fixtures; he got a deal at 25% of the original price!

Personally I am quite partial to halides or halide combos so I can't really recommend any one T5 fixture in particular but I've seen and heard good things about the Sunlight Supply fixtures.

Oh, I would also recommend learning the skills of misdirection, comparative cost arguments, white lies and paying in cash. It'll delay the inevitable a$$-kicking from the wife and keep the credit card clear in case you need to flee the country. That or get her hooked on reefing as well and then you're in the clear .

Tell me, what is your plan (or hope) that you would like to do? Have you seen any example tanks that you like? Is there any one specific form of livestock you prefer? (My livestock is like 95% coral... so high light it is!!!). Let's get a discussion going and see if any of us can make some recommendations or someone around here says "Hey, I've got a deal!".

Edit:
Just saw this: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...threadid=67955
Raf (super nice guy!) is selling the 48" version of my light for $300! Killer! Ever considered a 48" tank?

Last edited by ScubaSteve; 09-13-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:20 AM

nemodad is on a distinguished road

HAHAHAA Scubasteve you kill me
Ya I try and sneak stuff into the basement as much as i can..hard to hide the big stuff and the kids rat me out sometimes!

I like that Sunlight fixture, pretty good deal.
Thing is my tank is a 36 1/4(l) x 12 5/8(w)x 19 3/4(h) and that fixture is 15.75 (w) so i don't think it will fit.

My goal is

1. max 2 fish ( Percula clowns ), i think 38 gallons would be more than enough for them to thrive.

2. Anemone for them to host, not necessary but i find it cool!

3. An interesting shrimp....Haven't decided yet..

4. Some zoo's forsure

5. If everything goes well maybe some SPS or LSP corals?? or maybe a clam.

Then one day if something happens to my oscar in the 75G, i may move everything over.