Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 09-05-2010, 04:05 AM

wookie is on a distinguished road

Here's the sole Mono remaining. You can see something going on badly with his skin. The other ones progressed like this - but never as bad. I think they died before it got that ugly.

Sigh . . . . I'm thinking this will be the end of my aquarist days... The GF is choked/sad about how much time has gone into this and money and of course losing the nice fish, only to have this happen and pretty much nothing we can do but watch.

Last edited by wookie; 09-08-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:13 AM

Seafan is on a distinguished road

Hi, you didn't say which salt it was that you were using? Aquarium or actual salt water salt? Do not let it desolve in your tank, always premix your salt in some kind of a bucket get it to proper salinity, and ph, and aerate it, even if it is only for a few minutes, but hours is better than minutes. It's a good sign that your puffer has started to eat. Hopefully your mono starts to come around soon too. You have decent flow by the sounds of it, but if your mono is still labored in his breathing I would add an extra airstone if you can. Good luck again, hope it turns around for you.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:17 AM

Hi, sorry I didn't see your last post before I replied. I wouldn't rule out salt or ammonia burns as the culprit. Others on here may have an idea if it maybe something else. Again dissolve salt out of the aquarium and definately a good idea to have your own test kits to monitor your own water.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:19 AM

Thanks for reminding me, sorry I forgot.

Yeah, glad he's eating, the mono looks rough, don't think he's making it... and with 2 of 8 left and maybe 1 of 8.... Doesn't bode well for the future of the tank.

Marine Salt. "Coralife"

This time it dissolved in the tank, often during prior water changes I'd do it in a bucket with unchlorinated water.

Thanks again
Old 09-05-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafan View Post
Hi, sorry I didn't see your last post before I replied. I wouldn't rule out salt or ammonia burns as the culprit. Others on here may have an idea if it maybe something else. Again dissolve salt out of the aquarium and definately a good idea to have your own test kits to monitor your own water.
Yup, thanks..

Hi eyes look a little puffy/cloudy too..

Maybe it's a salt burn, but I doubt it as I have never expereinced that before and I didn't "go to town" with the salt at the time.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:50 AM

Llamarama is on a distinguished road

just wondering...with all these water changes have you been making sure that the new water is the same SG as the water in the tank? what are you using to measure the SG? I would guess salt/ammonia burns as well maybe invest in a $30 kit that tests the main stuff...the API one is cheap...isn't the most accurate but gives a decent picture of whats happening...what kind of test was the LFS using? i've seen petsmart use stips to test and they don't give anywhere near accurate results
Old 09-05-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamarama View Post
just wondering...with all these water changes have you been making sure that the new water is the same SG as the water in the tank? what are you using to measure the SG? I would guess salt/ammonia burns as well maybe invest in a $30 kit that tests the main stuff...the API one is cheap...isn't the most accurate but gives a decent picture of whats happening...what kind of test was the LFS using? i've seen petsmart use stips to test and they don't give anywhere near accurate results
We used a hydrometer, $20 at Pisces...

I really don't think it's salt/ammonia burns, this started a long time after the most recent water change. 9+ days. The symptoms being experience now are just worse than what was going on before. Also I had the water tested after the first 2 died, having changed out 18% and the water tested well. They used chemicals to test and mixed the water up in test tubes (not a piece of litmus like paper like petland).
Old 09-05-2010, 07:17 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Possible case of marine velvet, could you get us some better photos? If it is this is something you will have to treat urgently.

Do the fish almost look like there coated in flour?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
Possible case of marine velvet, could you get us some better photos? If it is this is something you will have to treat urgently.

Not really too likely it is marine velvet as the tank nor the fish have ever been up to full salinity or even close to it by my understanding anyways.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brackishs...racsystems.htm
quote from above article "However, because brackish water is generally hostile to both freshwater and saltwater parasites, things like whitespot and velvet are actually very rare in brackish water aquaria."

I'm not saying monos and brackish fish can't get salt water diseases or even fresh water, but they must be living in a suitable environment for the parasite.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post

Not really, maybe a bit pastey... Too late for more pictures anyway. The last mono died on Sunday and the last puffer I think just packed it in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafan View Post
Not really too likely it is marine velvet as the tank nor the fish have ever been up to full salinity or even close to it by my understanding anyways.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brackishs...racsystems.htm
quote from above article "However, because brackish water is generally hostile to both freshwater and saltwater parasites, things like whitespot and velvet are actually very rare in brackish water aquaria."

I'm not saying monos and brackish fish can't get salt water diseases or even fresh water, but they must be living in a suitable environment for the parasite.

Nah, the highest it ever got was 1.15 or 1.16 maybe. Until the LFS told me to bring it right up to Marine salinity to whipe out whatever was hurting them...

Too bad I think it just finished them off.