Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 01-27-2009, 04:44 AM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

I feed my porcupine puffer a "puffer chow" meal I make in the blender. Its squid, clams, mussels, cuttlefish, prawns and other types of mollusks and shellfish. I blend it with garlic, freeze it, and cut it into cubes. Puffers are so messy when they eat that the frozen cubes don't make as much mess. My Picasso trigger loves it too.

The only red meat my puffer got was my finger tip... I was teasong him at the top of the tank and thought it was food.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:44 PM

Megs is on a distinguished road

i would have to agree with the posts that if it is not something the fish would encounter and eat in the wild, dont feed it. they arent set-up to digest red meat.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:26 AM

Gee is on a distinguished road

I've read somewhere (probably the internet so treat it as such) that fish's livers can't process red meat.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 PM

Adam NS. is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it is some thing that they would not ussually get in the wild but that goes both ways. We don't live in the ocean but we eat sea food. People drink milk and that is almost morbid to me. As long as you feed your fish a variety of things I dont see a problem. I've even heard of people keeping bat fish alive for years on banana chips.

Adam
Old 04-26-2009, 11:53 PM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road

Just got my puffer last week and he accepted little pieces of silverside, but thats about as far as i got, i doubt he'll take red meat. Now my eel on my other hand...well different story..lol

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg
Old 04-27-2009, 12:22 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road
Default Green

Green to play Devils advocite (as much as I agree with you moose is not something I would feed to my fish) is any of the food we really feed to our reefs natural? Yes Brine shrimp and krill do come from the ocean but is it born frozen or freeze dried? Each individual organism in our tank I'm sure has a VASTLY different diet than what we provide for them but they still seem to survive in our systems. Red meat does have a vast amount of different protiens and enzymes in it though, so introducing it to a reef system could cause some problems.
Levi
Old 04-27-2009, 02:32 AM

Funky_Fish14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Funky_Fish14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
Green to play Devils advocite (as much as I agree with you moose is not something I would feed to my fish) is any of the food we really feed to our reefs natural? Yes Brine shrimp and krill do come from the ocean but is it born frozen or freeze dried? Each individual organism in our tank I'm sure has a VASTLY different diet than what we provide for them but they still seem to survive in our systems. Red meat does have a vast amount of different protiens and enzymes in it though, so introducing it to a reef system could cause some problems.
Levi
Changing the state of the foods doesnt change the nutrient combinations found in the food. yes, through heating/freezing some of the amino acids which make up the proteins in the meats will break down/change, but they dont turn into entirely different molecular chains. If we are feeding bits and pieces of animals from their natural environment, they are still getting a more correct mix of nutrients. Just playing devil's advocate right back

Cheers,

Chris
Old 05-01-2009, 07:29 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

If fish are exposed to any type of red meat I think the only type that they would encounter would be humans that get lost at sea. Have'nt heard of any moose getting sucked out on a boogie board or falling off of a boat. Don't feed them for a week and dangle a finger in the tank, they might like it. LOL. Why feed them something thats foreign to their environment?