Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 12-26-2011, 06:28 AM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road
Default Aquarium Plumbing Parts

What parts do you find essential in your system in terms of plumbing?

I have configured systems in the past with mostly pvc pipe and don't like the rigidity of it and would like to hear how people are softening some of their plumbing, especially anywhere a 90 degree would be required.

Also, if you dont mind on commenting where in Calgary you found these parts? The best places I found parts was Rona and Western Pump. Home Depot has some but not a lot often times.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:40 AM

Seth81 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11 View Post
What parts do you find essential in your system in terms of plumbing?

I have configured systems in the past with mostly pvc pipe and don't like the rigidity of it and would like to hear how people are softening some of their plumbing, especially anywhere a 90 degree would be required.

Also, if you dont mind on commenting where in Calgary you found these parts? The best places I found parts was Rona and Western Pump. Home Depot has some but not a lot often times.
You are right about Western Pump and Rona, only probelem is that they don't stock any true union ball valves, or any sch 80 stuff. I found the best value for any sch 80 fittings was www.pvcfittingsonline.com Just make sure you order extras of everything, otherwise you'll have to make 3 or 4 orders. And shipping and duties are painfull ( still much cheaper for sch 80 and ball valves though).

To me the most important thing is unions. Also another very important aspect of plumbing that no one seems to mention is how you hang your plumbing. I originally had my pipe and fittings directly supported on a wall via some screw in clamps, boy was that ever a mistake! the entire house vibrated from the pump!! it was horrible, my sump is in my basement, and I could clearly hear/feel the pump from my master bedroom on the second floor!! So after talking it over with a few people I put in a flex connection from the discharge of my pump to a section of rigid PVC that was all suspended from the wall, not directly touching, and it made all the difference in the world! No it is barley auidble on the main floor.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:06 AM

jostafew is on a distinguished road

Not sure i this is what you meant by "softening" but when i first plumbed my system i used a 90deg pvc conduit elbow (grey pvc) instead of a regular 90. The idea was increasing the radius for better flow over a standard sharp 90 deg elbow. Got the parts from Home Depot. I've since removed all of that for more compact but less efficient plumbing to gain more space in the cabinet. I had to throttle the return pump back anyway so i didn't mind the loss.

After that i've seen ppl use flexible pvc in place of rigid for ease of use and smoother bends. Couldn't tell you exactly where to find in AB though.

As mentioned above you'll want unions for ease of service, ball valves to isolate sections of plumbing, gate valves to regulate flow, and a section of vinyl tubing between the return pump and rigid plumbing to help reduce the transfer of vibrations.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth81 View Post
You are right about Western Pump and Rona, only probelem is that they don't stock any true union ball valves, or any sch 80 stuff. I found the best value for any sch 80 fittings was www.pvcfittingsonline.com Just make sure you order extras of everything, otherwise you'll have to make 3 or 4 orders. And shipping and duties are painfull ( still much cheaper for sch 80 and ball valves though).

To me the most important thing is unions. Also another very important aspect of plumbing that no one seems to mention is how you hang your plumbing. I originally had my pipe and fittings directly supported on a wall via some screw in clamps, boy was that ever a mistake! the entire house vibrated from the pump!! it was horrible, my sump is in my basement, and I could clearly hear/feel the pump from my master bedroom on the second floor!! So after talking it over with a few people I put in a flex connection from the discharge of my pump to a section of rigid PVC that was all suspended from the wall, not directly touching, and it made all the difference in the world! No it is barley auidble on the main floor.
Where do you get your flex connections from? Do you typically get clear ones or not? I would think not but usually I just see clear ones, and do you just use a hose barb to connect?
Old 12-26-2011, 11:53 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if I am following you correctly or not, but spa flex is a flexible PVC pipe that is available at places like Greggs Distributors or hot tub supply shops. The OD of the pipe is the same as regular rigid PVC pipe and fits into all the same fitting with regular primer and PVC glue.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:55 AM

And its aquarium safe?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11 View Post
And its aquarium safe?
Yep, lots of people on this forum use it.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:58 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Yep, lots of people on this forum use it.
Is that the stuff I got from you on your old tank?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Is that the stuff I got from you on your old tank?
Yes, I believe so Wayne.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:55 PM

Aquarium_Medics is on a distinguished road

Western Pump in south calgary carries sch 80 pipes, but they keep it in the stock room, so you have to ask specifically for it. They will also oreder in any sch 80 pieces you need.