Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-09-2015, 04:19 PM

reefwithareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Not sure what you mean by back flows and I'm not an apex guy but I assume you need to use a BOB to connect some sort of sensor to determine pump failure. As far as valves and plumbing goes all you need are the two check valves, one on each pump output and that's it.

I mean back-flow preventor, same thing as a check valve.
Yes, I would use the Apex to sense the pump failure, so it could turn on the back up pump.

I was thinking the check valves would be at the inlet , just because of the way the two pumps plumbed together.

I was thinking that I had to have the check valves at the inlet side, but the more I think about it, the outlet side makes more sense. I just worry about stagnant water in one of the pumps getting into the tank.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:26 PM

Leach29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwithareefer View Post
Yes, I would use the Apex to sense the pump failure, so it could turn on the back up pump..
How do you use the apex to sense a pump failure? I'm thinking of a backup pump as well with my apex.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:44 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwithareefer View Post
I mean back-flow preventor, same thing as a check valve.
Yes, I would use the Apex to sense the pump failure, so it could turn on the back up pump.

I was thinking the check valves would be at the inlet , just because of the way the two pumps plumbed together.

I was thinking that I had to have the check valves at the inlet side, but the more I think about it, the outlet side makes more sense. I just worry about stagnant water in one of the pumps getting into the tank.
You wouldn't need any additional check valves or back flow preventers at the pump inlets, you only need a check valve on each pump outlet. In general check valves should only be installed on pump outputs, not inlets. With two pumps you'll always have stagnate water in the back up, not much you can do about it other than potentially program the back up to turn on for a minute or two each day. I see no reason why you can run both pumps together for brief amount of time provided it won't overload your overflow but most people design overflows for at least twice design.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leach29 View Post
How do you use the apex to sense a pump failure? I'm thinking of a backup pump as well with my apex.
Not sure yet. Flow sensor of some sort in a union and wired to the apex BOB

Damn it, I was not going to make another project for myself for awhile.....

Dunderoz on this thread seems to have a solution

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/fo...hp?f=8&t=12455

Last edited by reefwithareefer; 04-09-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

The sensor could be as simple as float switch in the sump, if main pump fails sump level rises and triggers float which activates back up. Obliviously need a little coding to ensure it doesn't turn back off again once sump level drops or doesn't turn on during maintenance shut downs but that should be pretty basic. Alternatively profilux has a flow sensor available, perhaps it can be adapted to Apex or you could purchase another type of flow sensor that could be adapted.

If it were me I'd just run both pumps together, size the pumps or restrict the flow so each pump puts about 50% of the desired flow to the tank, if one fails you're left with 50% flow which obviously won't effect much. Then there's no controller or sensors to rely on and you achieve the same benefit with less reliability concerns.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
The sensor could be as simple as float switch in the sump, if main pump fails sump level rises and triggers float which activates back up. Obliviously need a little coding to ensure it doesn't turn back off again once sump level drops or doesn't turn on during maintenance shut downs but that should be pretty basic. Alternatively profilux has a flow sensor available, perhaps it can be adapted to Apex or you could purchase another type of flow sensor that could be adapted.

If it were me I'd just run both pumps together, size the pumps or restrict the flow so each pump puts about 50% of the desired flow to the tank, if one fails you're left with 50% flow which obviously won't effect much. Then there's no controller or sensors to rely on and you achieve the same benefit with less reliability concerns.
I was going to run both pumps at one time but figured it was twice the electricity, noise and wear....

The sump idea may work, but I do auto water changes etc, all of which shut down the return pump. This would fill the sump to the same level as if the pump had quit. Triggering the back up pump to go on.

I will have to think about the ideas and figure out what works with my system....
Old 04-11-2015, 08:39 PM

Default Cultured brick wall

I decided to build a cultured brick (brick veneer) wall. I think it would look cool to have SPS growing off of it as well as some zoas etc.

From my research, it seems to be fine using this type of material in a saltwater tank. I have soaked it in freshwater for about a week and after the silicone cures it can soak in saltwater for another week to be sure.

All the materials were laying around the house.
I used a piece of 3/16" acrylic to silicone the veneer to. The veneer pieces were 18"w and was exactly the width I needed. It leaves approx 2" on either side of the tank glass, for the powerheads to be mounted to

It is tall enough to go from bottom of the tank to the bottom of my overflow weirs. I think I will silicone 3 hooks at the top to "hang" the wall off the weir openings. This way I can take it out if needed to for any reason.

Ready to be siliconed

I like the veneer as there are many shelves to add frags to.

Completed from start to finish in an hour.

Anyone hear of any bad things happening using a veneer in a tank?
Old 04-13-2015, 03:14 AM

Gave the veneer wall a vinegar both and the coloring started to come off. Scrubbed it good and it took the coloring down about three shades but no m ore is coming off.
I can only assume that would not have been very good, leeching into the tank.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:22 AM

Hmmmm, this Concept aquarium journal has me somewhat confused and unsure as to if I should continue on in just their journal thread, continue with mine or both....

Will just do my thing as this journal is more for me to look back and see all the tank history...

Set up the Swann IP camera again. Not the prettiest of pics from it, but the camera allows me to check the tank anytime, anywhere I want. Have not been able to set it up in the Apex. Their forum and Swann has not helped me figure out a solution yet. Anyone set one of these up in an Apex before?

Last edited by reefwithareefer; 04-13-2015 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:40 AM

Default Samsung phone pics

I am not sure what this is called. I do know that when I nuked my tank awhile back, it was killed. It had one "head" and the tentacles were about three inches before I nuked the tank. I decided to leave the "shell" in the tank thinking one never knows. About 6 months later you could see the tiniest bit of color begin to come out of it and another 3 months or so it looks like this. Multiple heads and the tentacles are about 1.5" long. Never would have thought it would come alive again. I never throw anything out anymore, just to see what happens.

Last edited by reefwithareefer; 04-13-2015 at 03:47 AM.