Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 PM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
murray i thought of you the second this was posted.....didnt we all have this conversation already lol

Several times this topic seems to pop up every 6 months or so....

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:39 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Nooowww, before you all chew my face off for saying this keep in mind I'm playing devils advocate here. In no way am I saying you should make a point of being "unsafe" while handling or caring for any of our marine creatures but everyone pointing the "palytoxin" finger really needs to stop doing so.

Daniella is simply explaining that as far as the scientific process goes you all blow, and quite frankly I have to agree with her. With out scientifically based proof (some sort of test identifying palytoxin as your culprit) your all jumping the gun and pointing at a compound that probably has little to do with whats going on.

Yes Max experienced symptoms but there are hundreds of thousands of compounds in saltwater created by hundreds of thousands of different organisms, any one of these could be your culprit. Max could also have any number of physiological problems wrong with him in addition to the effects of this "mystery compound". So again, take from it what you will but with out definitive proof please stop pointing blindly at Palytoxin.

She makes a really good point;
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post

The problem with this type of thread is that the OP simply assume that it was caused by handling zoanthids and he comes here and say so as if it was the true story, but without having done proper test and having consulted a doctor, it is just pure assumption. This is how myths multiply and survive.
There are scientific channels to ensure the "facts" we spew are in fact true, I'm surely preaching to the wrong choir on an internet forum that bases facts off opinion but if anyone takes anything from this post it's please do your research, blindly following others opinions can have grave consequences.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:46 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
Nooowww, before you all chew my face off for saying this keep in mind I'm playing devils advocate here. In no way am I saying you should make a point of being "unsafe" while handling or caring for any of our marine creatures but everyone pointing the "palytoxin" finger really needs to stop doing so.

Daniella is simply explaining that as far as the scientific process goes you all blow, and quite frankly I have to agree with her. With out scientifically based proof (some sort of test identifying palytoxin as your culprit) your all jumping the gun and pointing at a compound that probably has little to do with whats going on.

Yes Max experienced symptoms but there are hundreds of thousands of compounds in saltwater created by hundreds of thousands of different organisms, any one of these could be your culprit. Max could also have any number of physiological problems wrong with him in addition to the effects of this "mystery compound". So again, take from it what you will but with out definitive proof please stop pointing blindly at Palytoxin.

There are scientific channels to ensure the "facts" we spew are in fact true, I'm surely preaching to the wrong choir on an internet forum that bases facts off opinion but if anyone takes anything from this post it's please do your research, blindly following others opinions can have grave consequences.

levi raises a good point could be as simple as a bristle worm in the zoas/palys and an alergic reaction ......i guess the only thing i learned from this thread was to take precautions when working in your tank because theres alot we dont understand or alot of things we dont even know is in there
Old 10-25-2011, 09:48 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

I demand to see WHMIS sheets!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:50 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post

I have to agree with what you have to say. Well put.

I think the problem here is Daniella at times comes across too strong. Pushing her point to the point of being a bully. Daniella, I respect your opinions, and what you say does ring some valid points. I also know that you try to bring good and valuable information to this forum, thank you for this.

So lets keep this thread to the topic and not a bashing party. If the thread creator thinks this warrants going to see a doctor, then they should.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 10-25-2011, 10:08 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by globaldesigns View Post
I think the problem here is Daniella at times comes across too strong. Pushing her point to the point of being a bully.

Maybe if she answered in french people wouldn't get offended......
Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
Maybe if she answered in french people wouldn't get offended......
How does help, exactly?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:19 PM

RedCoralEdmonton is on a distinguished road

god I hate bristleworms..... swollen/numb fingers FTL!!

Steve
Old 10-25-2011, 10:20 PM

babyreef is on a distinguished road

I think the original post has been respectively beaten to death...RIP!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCoralEdmonton View Post
god I hate bristleworms..... swollen/numb fingers FTL!!

Steve
go on steve you know you love the rush of a good bristle stabbing lol....oh man i just had a horrible thought that sent shivers down my spine which is imagine if you got some bristles on your finger and then wiped your eye lol what could ya do ,every blink would be constant painnnnnn lol