Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tips and Tricks

Old 09-11-2006, 08:43 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

Great tips guys. One tip I like is to try and minimize the amount of flow going through the sump. The faster the water is travelling through your sump because of a large return pump the less time your equipment has to clean the water. Also with things like my skimmer, Phosban reactors, ozone reactors, fluvals, etc. try to push the water from the return or middle chamber in your sump and return it to the overflow chamber. This way you're able to recirculate the water and your polishing already polished water even moreso.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:37 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

Here's a tip I've just figured out today:

you're supposed to keep your hands out of the tank if you have a skimmer, but there's some cases where you can't help it.

you can get arm length gloves, or I found just now, that you can rinse your arms real well with real hot water before putting them in the tank. It takes most of the oils off your skin, so it doesn't drive the skimmer crazy.

edit:
oh! and don't epoxy a coral that you're planning to grow big on a tiny rock. I still don't know what I'm going to do about this one toadstool glued on the rock tighter than a... um... never mind lol.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:13 PM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

in order to reduce stress on new arrivals in the tank and to keep the others busy from attacking it, tape a mirror on the side of the tank, the fish will attack the mirror thinking it is one of their own and leave the new arrival alone. works well with really aggressive tank mates and after a few days when you remove the mirror the fish dont even really clue in on the new arrival because now their 'mortal enemies' have vanished.

my tank setup
Old 10-14-2006, 09:16 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default good one

thats actually sounds like it would work very well. good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by niloc16
in order to reduce stress on new arrivals in the tank and to keep the others busy from attacking it, tape a mirror on the side of the tank, the fish will attack the mirror thinking it is one of their own and leave the new arrival alone. works well with really aggressive tank mates and after a few days when you remove the mirror the fish dont even really clue in on the new arrival because now their 'mortal enemies' have vanished.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:08 AM

Dale is on a distinguished road

If you know you want to catch a fish ahead of time begin placing the food in a net at feeding time. I flush my frozen mysis in a small net and out of laziness began just putting the net in the tank (bent the handle so it hangs on the centre brace) Now my fish JUMP into the net each day

and always, always, always invest the $17.99 installing a G.F.C.I. One of my clients just dropped a light in the tank while she was moving some corals and she's glad I did.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:53 AM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

draggin up an old one, but a good one. anyone with new tricks or tips (or old tips or tricks)?

my tank setup
Old 06-29-2007, 08:55 PM

fishface is on a distinguished road

here's one for ya that i learned from Jack who alot of you also know that works at one the the lfs (credit where credit is due). so we got to talking about salt and one thing led to another, i mentioned that i was getting huge amounts of gunk in the bottom of my mixing bucket. not necessarily precip. but just plain ol dirty salt mix. so he mentions that he uses a quick-filter on the powerhead for his mixing bucket as he's experienced the same thing. it's funny cause alot of us use RO/DI but then we just add a bunch of "dirt" right back into our water before we put it back in our tanks as "clean/fresh" water.

so i thought this was a great idea and gave it a shot, result was...the most crystal clear cleanest water i've ever seen. not a mote of dirt on the bottom of the bucket and i'm ecstatic!! give it a try!
Old 11-07-2007, 04:37 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Not sure if this qualifies. I always used windex to clean my glass, and I was always paranoid that some of it would somehow spray up and into the tank. I've begun to use those windex wipes and my level of paranoia has decreased significantly

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 11-07-2007, 07:17 PM

Swags is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Swags
Default alk test kit check

Posted this on another thread, thought it should be here as well:
If you need to check the reliability of your alk test kit, here is a good check:
1.1350 grams of baking soda in 1 gallon of distilled water=10dkh

Cheers,
Phil
AMEN.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:17 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swags View Post
Posted this on another thread, thought it should be here as well:
If you need to check the reliability of your alk test kit, here is a good check:
1.1350 grams of baking soda in 1 gallon of distilled water=10dkh

Cheers,
Phil
any hints on how to measure 1.1350grams?