Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish > Seahorse

Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Banned

saltwaterseahorses is on a distinguished road
Default Would a 35 gallon be good enough for a barbouri seahorse?

actually two barbouri seahorses, and do they go good with a clownfish?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:06 AM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaterseahorses View Post
actually two barbouri seahorses, and do they go good with a clownfish?
I see a problem. Clownfish are pig in terms of feeding. They will steal all your food that is for your seahorses.
You better set up a dedicated tank for your seahorses.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:31 AM

zenafish is on a distinguished road

water volume is good, but what are the dimensions of your 35gal. Remember seahorses like to have vertical swimming room just as much as horizontal.

Clownfish are fiesty and can get quite agressive during feeding and protecting their territory. I would not put any clownfish in with seahorses.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:00 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Seahorses should be kept with there own. The clownfish will out compete them for food. They are slow movers and eaters. Mine only eat mysis shrimp and took some time to get them to eat. They need to be fed a few times a day.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:22 AM
Banned

ahhh okay! and i will check some time tomorrow the height
Old 04-23-2010, 04:05 AM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

If you don't care about breeding the seahorses, then you don't have to worry about the height of the 35g.
Height is more for the pair to be able to transfer eggs from female to male pouch during the mating dance.
DanU at seahorsesourse.com has reported egg transfers with little height, implying that sometimes they find a way anyway.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:09 AM
Banned

ok since you know lots bout seahorses do you think they can be with a cleaner wrasse by any chance? and do you have any seahorses?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:08 PM

rayjay is on a distinguished road

Well, I know some about seahorses, more than some and less than many others on the "org".
I have been a member on the seahorse.org for about 8 years but only actually keeping seahorses for a little under 5 years.
zenafish has as much knowledge or more than I do, but our experiences have been different so you would see some variation in our advice. However, a lot of basics would be the same from zenafish or from me.
I have had various problems trying to succeed with horses in reefing type situations and because of that, it has tempered the way I now keep my seahorses.
MY THOUGHTS ON SEAHORSE KEEPING
I have no dwarf experience as of yet but zenafish has tons of experience with them.
At the moment I have 25 seahorses with 16 more on order from BWA.
I will also get dwarfs if BWA brings them in.
Bred by Seahorse Sanctuary in Australia, I have a pair of angustus, barbs and reidi.
I also have 14 reidi left of ones I've raised from birth from fry donated by Ryan at Big Als. The rest have sold to fund my new purchases.
I have 3 erectus and 2 comes left out of 5 and 3 respectively, with the losses happening during deworming process necessary when you don't know for sure that they are true captive bred.
I have on order, 8 reidi and 8 erectus from BWA.
As for cleaner wrasses AND cleaner shrimp, I found both to pester the seahorses, some stressed to the point they quit eating so I removed them and never tried again.
I also tried perc clownfish and some seahorses were stressed while some were not so it's hit and miss.
I've also seen reports on seahorse.org about clowns picking on seahorses once they got older, and had to be removed.
I have also seen reports on the org where clowns were never a problem.
As I see it, if there is a possibility of something stressing my horses, I won't put them in with my horses as seahorses mean too much to me.
If I want something bad enough to keep anyway, I'll put it in one of my reef tanks, or if not compatible, I'll set up a new tank for whatever it is I want bad enough.
Any advice I may give to anyone is based on MY experiences plus knowledge gained from many years of reading posts on the seahorse.org site.
That doesn't mean I'm always correct and it doesn't mean my ways are best.
It's always best to consider the varied opinions of experienced seahorse keepers and until you gain a lot of experience yourself, go with what the majority of those experienced keepers recommend.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Mine were never bothered by the clowns, even when the clowns were breeding regularly. Had them in a 35 hex and a 33g reg. However, clowns are also very slow & easy to catch once they're used to your home tank so would be easily removed if the clowns become an issue. Like RayJay stated, if you're worried, don't add them. If you're still wanting to add clowns, they are easier to catch than most other faster-swimming fish.

I have kept jawfish in my seahorse tanks with no problems (on a side note).
Old 04-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Banned

okay thxs and ya i was wondering about the clowns because i have one right now and it looks kinda like a maroon clown but with more orange colour instead of the purple and for stripes there not really yellow there more white!