Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-04-2019, 05:37 PM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

Have not been on much, congrats.. I love my vertex, and used to have a small shraun that worked good too.

though i ran without a probe for a while, having a probe hooked into my apex is magical.. once your semi dialed in you can walk away from the reactor for months <except for checking its still dripping lol>

hopefully you can get it sorted propper. My vertex has never got airlocked but occasionally it gets noisy if its sucking a little extra off gassing through the first chamber.

The one peice I love about it that i never had with my old one and i never could source was the gate valve that fits ro tubing. so much easier to dial in a consistent drip.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:49 PM

Millepora_Maniac is on a distinguished road

Well, F'k it!

I ended up buying a probe, and dripping my effluent into a cup, measuring it as it comes out. I increased my drip rate by a drip per sec, (Two drips per second now) My PH is set to 6.3, and the effluent varies from 6.33 to 6.27. Bubble counter is at one per second.

When i started the reactor my tank had been running for over a week without dosing, the KH was at 4.5 or something ridiculously low.

Now that i am getting dialled in it is raising by .1 per day or so, it is now sitting at 7.3 so getting closer to the optimum. The first week it raised up to 6.5 The rest of the increase has been slower. The controller has stopped the air locking, that was definitely over saturation and the Co2 was condensing at the top of the chamber. in a different reactor that wouldn't matter as much, but on this one, the recirc pump is mounted on the top of the chamber, so it air locks. They have a bleeder on the top for that, but it can only handle so much and if you're putting too much Co2 through it, it will air lock eventually, or you will be dripping too much through it.

A controller always has been the way to go, i should have done it immediately. I'm all good now!

Cheers!

They recommend a KH increase of one per week, so i am within that now.

90 gal SPS display+65 gallon mixed reef
GEAR: Korallin calcium reactor, bio pellets, digital aquatics controller, Tunze ATO, MP40, 4 x Tunze 6105 w/controller, Reef Octopus Xp3000 ext, 2x250w MH, Futura LED.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:49 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

I can't seem to lower my alk lol dosing 11ml per minute and its still sitting at 11-12dkh, just added a whole bunch of corals so hopefully it will come down a bit. Glad you got your $hit figured out, ph probe control ftw.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 03-05-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
I can't seem to lower my alk lol dosing 11ml per minute and its still sitting at 11-12dkh, just added a whole bunch of corals so hopefully it will come down a bit. Glad you got your $hit figured out, ph probe control ftw.
I read that the ideal KH is 8-12, so maybe you don't need to bring it down? Is there a reason you;re trying to decrease it?

GEAR: Korallin calcium reactor, bio pellets, digital aquatics controller, Tunze ATO, MP40, 4 x Tunze 6105 w/controller, Reef Octopus Xp3000 ext, 2x250w MH, Futura LED.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:27 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millepora_Maniac View Post
I read that the ideal KH is 8-12, so maybe you don't need to bring it down? Is there a reason you;re trying to decrease it?
Just wanna keep it around 10 so if there is any fluctuations than I can fix it without $hit hitting the fan if you know what I mean 😂

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 03-05-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
Just wanna keep it around 10 so if there is any fluctuations than I can fix it without $hit hitting the fan if you know what I mean 😂
I feel ya man, Frags aren't 20 bucks for killer anymore, hundreds and hundreds.. WTH happened? lol

When i was running my Old PM reactor, i couldn't get it down less than 12... but it was constant. I think i didn't really mess with that one though, was likely over dosing everything at that point in my life. I remember the dude who sold it to me telling me one bubble per second and one or two drops per second of effluent... I set it and didn't look back. hahaha.

This one i am trying to dial right in properly so the solenoid hardly turns off and on at all.

Tags
alkalinity, calcium, korralin, reactor, reviews