Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-30-2017, 11:33 PM

copenhagen_cowboy@live.co is on a distinguished road
Default question on a build for a 180g tank

I am in the process of building a new stand for my tank. Im going with a steel stand. The tank is 180g glass tank with no plastic trim, It is a eurobraced tank. Reading some forums and looking at a few pictures I have a couple questions for you guys

1. Should it just be supported on the edges or should it have a brace across the middle?

2. Should I use either or a combination of styrofoam and plywood in between the tank and stand?
Old 01-31-2017, 02:58 AM

Scythanith is on a distinguished road

Brace across middle, 3/4" to 1" plywood on top of the stand, 3/4" rigid pink insulation foam on that then tank. Whatever you skin the tank stand with would go up maybe an inch over the bottom of the tank to hide all the layers.

Make sure you paint your stand with a really good anti-corrosion paint. Some people also weld in adjustable steel feet to help with levelling. Although shims can do the same thing.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:31 AM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

I am an incredible pessimist, I have 2 - 1" layers of Baltic Birch plywood and 2 braces, splitting the length into quarters on a 4' tank.

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:11 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythanith View Post
Brace across middle, 3/4" to 1" plywood on top of the stand, 3/4" rigid pink insulation foam on that then tank. Whatever you skin the tank stand with would go up maybe an inch over the bottom of the tank to hide all the layers.

Make sure you paint your stand with a really good anti-corrosion paint. Some people also weld in adjustable steel feet to help with levelling. Although shims can do the same thing.
^ THAT! Scythanith describes my exact layout of my 150g
Old 01-31-2017, 02:33 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Tanks without trim on the bottom need to have styrofoam between the steel and the glass. 1/2" rigid does just fine, but you can go thicker if you want.

People often recommend plywood under tanks with no trim, and tanks that do have trim can be put straight on top of a steel stand. I'm not sure why people have come to the habit of making this recommendation. Tanks with trim don't have the center supported, the glass is raised up, and the tank is only supported on the outside perimeter. As soon as there is no trim people start recommending a flat surface. I'm not sure that there is any need for that. HOWEVER, if supporting the bottom glass in its entirety (using plywood + styro) is an option, I would certainly do it.

Make sure when you install the tank and stand that the tank doesn't "rock" on the stand, and the stand doesn't "rock" on the floor. Steel stands warp during the welding, and some welders don't correct that (some just aren't as picky as we'd like them to be haha).

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:15 PM

RogueSnail is on a distinguished road

I would go with full minimum 3/4 or even better 2x 3/4 the good kind of plywood (with a lot of layers) and a good foam , like the BRS160 .
Level the whole thing and then watch it for a few days .
They always move in the first week.