Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-21-2015, 06:12 PM

jason604 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
i remember the day i brought my laundry tub 'online'. i felt like a god but my wife didn't really understand the thrill lol. her response was "when do i get a new tap upstairs? you have the best one in the house in your fishroom". wall looks so much better already but you're going to have a tough time finding a solution that makes such an opening seamless... good luck!

+1 on the loud quiet ones. they've never been known to be quiet really... had one on my first tank ever.
U know what they say. A Happy wife= A Happy life. So just give her the best "tap😉" So u can spend as much on corals u want n won't get yelled at lol
Old 01-21-2015, 06:24 PM

Anyways I found a giant mark right spank in the middle of my tank!!!
It doesn't feel like a scratch but I can't remove it. It's about 2-3" long

Moulding has been installed. I will be painting it black today.

I put 2 pieces of 2x4 up where there's gaps between my studs so evaporation doesnt mess up everything upstairs and I put caulking all around the gaps to make it air tight.

Put some plastic sheets around my washroom pipeline from upstairs. Also my rock that I had cycling is now in the tank with about 40gal of new mixed salt and about 10 gal of water from my existing tank. I want to make it as close as possible to my old tank so the swap will hopelly not kill any corals. Also put 1 bag of new Fiji pink sand and 1 cup from my old tank along with 2 fist sized live rock from it as well. I will be putting in another 10g old tank water in today as well. Delayed on the vinyl flooring cuz I called around and no stores seems to have a odd ball piece 7x7 laying around so I guess I'll just buy a 12ft n cut it.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:19 AM

Default How's my rockwork

Hey guys so my new in wall is now up and running. Just finished my rockwork. I made is so there will be tons of flow and lots of space/caves for fishes to swim n hide in. My old tank's flow was terrible. I pretty much just jammed as much rock as I can in it. Being totally new to the hobby my mistakes caused massive detris to be trapped in every crevice u can think of n flow was horrible. Also my tang barely had room to swim so he always hide except when there's food. Ok now back to my new rockwork. I left the tank very open with tons of ledges so sps can grow n thrive without touching each other too much. For he giant gap in the center I will be keeping all my euphylias there. Left room in front of glass for Lps n zoas etc. when u move my old tank over I will have more work to play With so I can make bridges from 1 end to the other or make the bridge not connect if u can picture it.

Rocks on the right has been glued. Rocks on the left hasn't yet. I tried using fijicrete but it just dissolves instantly when I use it underwater even when I left it almost hardened. I was told it would work. Hope it didn't ruin my water. I ended up using tunze epoxy.

Looks to me like I will not be able to use all the rocks from my old tank. Im gonna have to put as much as I can in the sump n sell the rest. My new rocks r so much more nicer n pourous I believe it's pukani.

Here's existing tank

I put all my dead sps that all died during my tank crash few months ago into the refugium part of my sump. Such a pity a few were very beautiful.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:08 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

Damn thats starting to look sweet. Nice color choice to.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy00 View Post
Damn thats starting to look sweet. Nice color choice to.
Thx!! I was thinking about painting the wall a lil bit darker. Havnt decided yet
Old 01-24-2015, 11:05 PM

Added 2 super heavy duty timers and a metal power bar. Also added a gfci power socket under my tank
Old 01-28-2015, 09:29 PM

KPG007 is on a distinguished road

Nice job! great looking tank so far.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:03 AM

Thx kelly! UR gonna have to help me fill up the spaces once it's rdy! Lol
Old 01-29-2015, 06:13 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

the wall looks stellar so far!

any way you can relocate the wall switches around the corner or get the black decora ones?
Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 AM

So I finally finished my in wall system and transfered over everything from my old tank to my new all within about 3 hours. Used about 30gal of water from my old tank and swap it to new tank so I won't shock my livestock much. This was a week ago but I'm doing the update now lol. i did a major change in equipment. Upgraded my lights to 2 radions gen 1 and skimmer to a vertex omega 150

I put a removable hard plastic sheet to cover the open space above my tank. I'm rly happy of deciding to have an open space in the front it made life so much easier moving corals around. Also I dropped frags underneath the caves a few times and without the front space it would b rly hard to get them out.

I loved my new tank and was very happy with how I kept it with a lot of open space for fishes to swim n have better flow. Left gap in the middle for Euphylias. My hippo tang got ich right away when I swapped everything over. It must have stressed him out. But now few days after the few white spots he had on him is all gone n he swims nonstop. No more hiding.

Everything was perfect in paradise until I noticed my sps start to look different...
At first I thought it must be my radions. I had them on 65% radiant color schedule. Turned them down to 50% but still things getting worse. It's nkw at 40% but my tank looks like crap at this low setting. All my LPS are super happy tho and very opened except my hammers n frogspwn in guessing they not used to the change yet.

My green hulk acro that's always super bright green and survived every thing I did to my tank has lost all its color and some large frags of it bleached out.

My super beautiful bright pink red planet is now very dull as well. My ponape bird nest is pretty much dead and pink lemonade is fully brown.

Here's my pic of my before and after pic of the red planet at the very top and a large frag of the green hulk under it

My giant monster green slimer is now a brown slimer

So I did a water test. Here's my params.
Alk dropped to 7.7 I normally keep at 10ish, cal is at 420 which is normal. Mag dropped to 1000. All test is from salifert test kits. Used my Hanna phosphate and it was at 0.19ppm!!!!!!! I realize I forgot to set up my Gfo and carbon reactor!!! I believe this is what caused my sps downfall. I hope putting it back into service will make things back to normal..

Last edited by jason604; 03-09-2015 at 08:23 AM.