Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-19-2010, 12:43 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

I keep my tanks at around 78-82 u may need a new heater it is best to run a few smaller ones so if one fails u wont have any heat. As for ph 7.5 is low i see you do not have a skimmer a skimmer will help pull oxygen into tank bringing ph up. Try more surface agitation. Run cheat o in the sump on reverse lighting as display will help.

360 Reef Tank
Old 07-19-2010, 06:23 PM

snow1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTang<3 View Post
I keep my tanks at around 78-82 u may need a new heater it is best to run a few smaller ones so if one fails u wont have any heat. As for ph 7.5 is low i see you do not have a skimmer a skimmer will help pull oxygen into tank bringing ph up. Try more surface agitation. Run cheat o in the sump on reverse lighting as display will help.
Actually I do have a skimmer and it works well I just need a bigger one.

Could I not just add PH upper?
Old 07-21-2010, 02:28 AM

I guess I can't use ph upper b/c it's only for FW. Is there any other way to get my ph up? What about baking soda? I also do not want cheat-o.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
Keep your eyes put for more they are tough and when you think you got them boom!!! Their in another spot how did you kill the little bugger???
Sorry, I did not see your post, I injected them in lemon juice.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:19 AM

July 21,2010 update:
The rocks, sand etc... has now been in the tank for 6 days. Things seem to be going okay. The only problem with the water I'm having right now is the ph, it's at 7.5 and I need it to be 8-8.02. I'm seeing some brown algae that is forming on the live sand, not sure what is causing that. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm planning to get more live rock when I get back aug 5th, I'm going back home for 10 days so I'm hoping to check some fish stores while I'm
there, see if anything has changed. I have changed the structure of the rock three times now, this seems to be working for now, once I get more live rock I'll see if I leave it or move it around, I'd like some really nice big pieces as a base rock for the bottom and I have found someone that has nice pieces.
Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXmx7gMLmT4
pic:

Can anyone help me though with my ph problem? What about baking soda? Will that work? If so what's the ratio (tsp per gallon).
Old 07-22-2010, 02:16 PM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

The brown algae is just another stage of the tank it will come and then go eventually.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
The brown algae is just another stage of the tank it will come and then go eventually.
ahhh thanks.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:08 AM

A small update:
I tested the water once again and it's now perfect and ready for fish. I was having a problem with my ph being to low. Also I'm saving up for a new skimmer so hopefully in the nest while I'll purchase a new and bigger one. I should also note that in the last few weeks I've seen more hermit crabs around the tank and rock. I knew there was some but never knew there to be this many. I think there is 24+ in the tank plus some small clams and one crab. I had a problem with one of the overflows in the tank. It was not woking. So I checked it out and found something clogging the intake pipe. I put a barrier so that won't happen again.

Now, as for the fish I'm going out on monday to get a cheap $10 or less fish. I saw a few cheap ones like damsels etc.... I don't want to go out and get any large or expensive fish at first only to have them die on me. I'll keep this fish for 2 weeks or so and see how it goes. If no problems then it will be time to move onto the main course. BTW I have seen some people give away free saltwater fish from time to time so if you have any saltwater fish you have to give away shoot me a pm and I'll come get it on monday or whenever.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:44 AM

UPDATE:
So today I went out and bought two "tester" fish for the tank. They are both damsels...very cute fish. I wanted to get some small cheap yet hardy fish before I go out my main fish. It would suck if I spent $200 dollars on a fish only to have it die on me. I'm going to keep these fish a week or so and see how they do. After that I'll sell them for cheap or give them away....depending if I can catch them or not...
I bought these two at IPU, together the fish were around $10 so the price was right. I put them in this afternoon and both are doing fine. They don't hide like I thought they would. I also stopped off at JL but no fish caught me eye there. Although I did get more salt and $55 worth of saltwater fish food including NLS,frozen, and freeze dried foods...I kind of foods we do not sell were I work. Anyways these fish seem to like red shrimp...they eat lots already. Here is a video of my first saltwater fish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88m_4lGEX_w
Old 08-11-2010, 03:55 AM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

congrats on the fish... it's neat how the bubbles are constantly rising