Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 12-04-2012, 04:39 AM

apexifd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Reef View Post
Hi all,
I am now planning a second tank and thinking about trying the Mitras. It may be a bit early but I'm looking for some real user reviews on these lights and not sales pitches please.

Thanks.
thought you had no space for a second tank.

purple tang, sohal tang, yellow eye kole tang, fairy wrasse. cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and misc fish.

GHL Mitras 6200HV X 2, MP40 X 2, MP60 X 1, tunze 6095 X 2, Vertex RX6 calcium reactor, Bubble King SM250, Aquamaxx bio pellets reactor, Profilux 3
Old 12-04-2012, 04:52 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

In regards to the price of these units, if it was too high the demand wouldn't exceed the supply. Simple concept. The price isn't cheap and it's not for everyone but there are plenty of people who would easily justify the cost, the value is there.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:01 AM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
The spread is huge on these fixtures, you could cover my tank with two fixtures (64x32) but I feel three is better number given the depth (32) and the demand required for an SPS dominant tank. There's a picture of a 40" x 40" tank with a single fixture given complete coverage. I'm not going to reconfigure my fixtures for a demonstration, too much work would be required in regards to mounting given some limitations I have on space above.

I think I've mentioned color blending a few times now. In regards to comparing to T5s, not sure it can be done. They are completely different and offer more similarities to Halides than T5s. The lack of optics and larger spread design does reduce spotlight and shimmer effects compared to other LED fixtures so perhaps the Mitras is what you're looking for but maybe not. If T5s are really what you like then why not run T5s?
Thank you for your input. I don't think you will need to reconfigure your lights. I will look for the 40x40 tank and that should help my decision on the light placement down the road.

I agree with you on the LED where they resemble more halides and lack the richness (colour) that t5s emit. I have considered running a tank with just t5s but after considering the costs LED is a better choice. Perhaps the Mitras would be a better. Again, thanks.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:02 AM
Banned

denny_CC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In regards to the price of these units, if it was too high the demand wouldn't exceed the supply. Simple concept. The price isn't cheap and it's not for everyone but there are plenty of people who would easily justify the cost, the value is there.

couldnt have said it any better, honestly there are alot of interested people and we cant keep up with the demand for them, so id say price is def fair
Old 12-04-2012, 05:06 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you for your input. I don't think you will need to reconfigure your lights. I will look for the 40x40 tank and that should help my decision on the light placement down the road.

I agree with you on the LED where they resemble more halides and lack the richness (colour) that t5s emit. I have considered running a tank with just t5s but after considering the costs LED is a better choice. Perhaps the Mitras would be a better. Again, thanks.
I'll save you the trouble

I think the richness you describe is totally a matter of opinion. Personally I think a tank lit by T5s alone doesn't look very good at all in person but they photograph better than any other due to even light distribution. However the shimmer and contrast for LEDs/Halides is way better in person, much more natural and the light focuses on the coral better.

Last edited by sphelps; 12-04-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 AM
Colony Growing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexifd View Post
thought you had no space for a second tank.
I don't.... But I may find a spot in the garage... The second tank would be a holding tank for frags and when they are ready I can put them in the main display... It will also be my " insurance policy" in case if any of the corals die off... Cheaper than having to buy them all over again.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:20 AM
Colony Growing Master

Quote:

I think the richness you describe is totally a matter of opinion. Personally I think a tank lit by T5s alone doesn't look very good at all in person but they photograph better than any other due to even light distribution. However the shimmer and contrast is way better in person, much more natural and the light focuses on the coral better.
Thanks! One light does seem to cover a lot of that tank... In that case I would run two like yours...

You may have a point on the t5s and it may be the overkill in the shimmering effect from the Radions that I find less appealing that is steering me to look at other lighting options. If I do change to the Mitras I would still keep my Radions... For the second tank, of course.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
that's impressive!!! I wonder hows the PAR reading at the furtherest corner of the tank.

purple tang, sohal tang, yellow eye kole tang, fairy wrasse. cleaner wrasse, leopard wrasse, and misc fish.

GHL Mitras 6200HV X 2, MP40 X 2, MP60 X 1, tunze 6095 X 2, Vertex RX6 calcium reactor, Bubble King SM250, Aquamaxx bio pellets reactor, Profilux 3
Old 12-04-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I don't.... But I may find a spot in the garage... The second tank would be a holding tank for frags and when they are ready I can put them in the main display... It will also be my " insurance policy" in case if any of the corals die off... Cheaper than having to buy them all over again.
I know someone started a frag tank just for that reason. and he filled the frag tank with all new frags instead.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 AM
Colony Growing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexifd View Post
I know someone started a frag tank just for that reason. and he filled the frag tank with all new frags instead.
Hmmmm... I wonder who? When I am ready to start my second one will be a holding tank. I am not gonna kid myself... I will be holding some new additions but it will primarily be my insurance policy in case something goes wrong in the main tank.

Tags
ghl mitras