Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-10-2012, 03:43 AM

chris121277 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
Alk is high. Are you vodka dosing or anything? High Alk + probiotic = lethal.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree, I keep my Alk at 11 and have for years....granted I'm not using probiotic
Old 12-10-2012, 03:53 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris121277 View Post
I'm sorry but I have to disagree, I keep my Alk at 11 and have for years....granted I'm not using probiotic
... That's a fairly relevant exclusion wouldn't you agree? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao
High Alk + probiotic = lethal.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 AM

Albertan22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyplo View Post
I have a 55 gallon tank 48" wide, with 2 kessil A350W lamps hanging 1.5-2 feet over the tank (is that too far away?)
That does seem pretty high to me, but then I run a T5 setup that only has 432W of light output compared to your 700W so you might be fine. Maybe check with someone more familiar with that kind of light setup to figure out an appropriate height (maybe that guy with the same setup you bought the coral from).
Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 AM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
Probably your salt mix. What brand are you using? Can you test the salt after you've mixed it overnight prior to adding it to your tank?
Oh no I just bought two big 40lb tubs of Red Sea Reef Salt from BRS and thats what I've been using for my last couple water changes - before that, when I got the tank set up at my house from the move from my bf's I used Instant Ocean (I think the Reef Crystals was the one)

This exact stuff I am using now http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-se...-pro-salt.html

How can I bring the alk down? Is that the only parameter that seems out of place/bad?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:49 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Well, to be honest, it's probably not your alk that's causing the issue since you're not running probiotic.

FYI, natural SW kh is between 7-8.

I don't have any beginner-friendly ways to bring down alk, so I'll just keep my mouth shut there.

In any case, test the freshly mixed (ish, 24 hour mix) water first and we can panic after.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:49 AM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Your tank is too new and unstable to be keeping invertebrates. I would try to get them into someones tank that is more mature.

First priority should be to get your skimmer hooked up, and don't use chemicals to control things like green water...Keep it simple and take your time.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 PM

mandyplo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
Your tank is too new and unstable to be keeping invertebrates. I would try to get them into someones tank that is more mature.

First priority should be to get your skimmer hooked up, and don't use chemicals to control things like green water...Keep it simple and take your time.
Ok. As far as I know I'm not using any chemicals I don't know what you mean about that?

I thought my system was simple: dual carbon gfo reactor, water changes weekly, top of the line lights, no dosing, skimmer, RO/DI water. What am I doing wrong?

I feed 1 frozen cube of food a day, but I split it up into 3 different feedings throughout the day. This is literally all the maintenance I do with my tank, as well as testing with test kits and using a magnet cleaner...

Last edited by mandyplo; 12-10-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I'm going to possibly disagree with Rob, I think if the tank has been running 14 months with a move 2 months ago, it's probably fine. Maybe not stable, but in a state that you should be able to keep what you have.
You mention you don't think the reactors are working right..why?
Also, get the skimmer going today, it's going to help a lot. Pics of the tank and corals will give us a better picture of what things look like. I don't see any chemicals, just the zooplankton..if this is a liquid food, stop using it for now.
What is the intensity of the light? Should be fairly high to cover than much tank.
What is your water change schedule? Changing to a new salt can sometimes throw things off a bit.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:03 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Humm frogspawn and clam...two animals that react to flow, have you tried moving them around? What are u using for flow??

The clam will handle any volume of flow but may be ****ed while getting use to it.

Also what type of clam and where do you have it sand or rock??

Cheers
Old 12-10-2012, 03:05 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Also get a phosphate test kit, its the only thing I test for these days and seems to be a good indication of changing media when my corals get mad

Tags
reef coral clam