Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 PM
bvlester

looking good you cam put some egg crate on the cutout with the use of silicone. you can also reinforce the overflow box side with some 1/3" glass and silicone it to the glass that is there That would help with stress or in the event you have any micro fractures they should not run.

Bill
Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 AM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

I like it! Keep us updated with pics
Old 07-09-2010, 02:54 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Looking good Chris, if you are worried about the back of the tank and the weight of the OF a eurobrace would be your best insurance better safe then sorry .

If all goes well your stand will be built and painted tomorrow.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 07-09-2010, 06:09 AM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

It's nice to see you decided to go with the larger sump... firefish like to dart around a bit... maybe a few of those with some little gobies like some of the prawn or shrimp gobies. Maybe a small school of 5 chromis. Just some suggestions
I'm not an expert with skimmers but I have heard people having success with having 4-12 hours on the skimmer.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:15 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Looking good Chris, if you are worried about the back of the tank and the weight of the OF a eurobrace would be your best insurance better safe then sorry .

If all goes well your stand will be built and painted tomorrow.
That's awesome! What do you drink? I think a bottle or case might be in order

I did order the glass for just a rear eurobrace. Like you said, better safe than sorry and at only an inch it doesn't take up a whole lot of real-estate.

I had a firefish before and he was pretty cool, definitely on my short list. Don't think Chromis are though. My wife is gunning for an anenome and clowns though so we'll see!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
...I had a firefish before and he was pretty cool, definitely on my short list. Don't think Chromis are though. My wife is gunning for an anenome and clowns though so we'll see!
I would probably get both a pair of clowns and a small school of Chromis of some kind like the sunshine in the pic below. Or some other smaller schooling fish. The problem with say a Cardinal is that they tend to not move around much but Chromis tend to dance around the tank. Especialy if you have 1 of the smaller algae eating tangs to help them to dance a little.

Last edited by Greenmaster; 07-09-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:13 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

How is the cobbling coming there Chris?

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 07-20-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
How is the cobbling coming there Chris?
Slowly... Overflow box is built and attached curing tonight, I'll put some pic's up tomorrow maybe.

Have a nice slice of birch plywood that's going to be the countertop, just gotta find a stain that my wife is happy with!

Still trying to figure out lighting, I've got a 36" 4 bulb T5 but I REALLY want something that shimmers, maybe one of the reefbrite strips Oceanic is selling would do the trick. I could also put a 175 watt MH bulb over top but I'm worried about the heat as this tank is going to be upstairs.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:05 AM

Well, overflow is built and was siliconed on Sunday after a night out at the movies. Set it up in the garage and filled it up, we'll see if it's exploded overnight. Any thoughts on how long to run the leak test? I was thinking it wouldn't hurt anything to leave it full for a few days, maybe even a week? I may even set the wavebox up on it to see if it will handle the wave or not. Anyways, more pics less chatter as they say so here we go:

First is the tank on the sheet of birch so I could map out the holes I'm going to have to cut in the countertop to accomodate plumbing. Check out the awesome looking steel stand I picked up last weekend! Thanks Grizz

This next shot is just a view of the bottom of the external overflow, gives you an idea about how far out it extends. It's about 4" sticking out from the tank (so I can fit my hand in or use it as storage) and 10 wide and 10 high. I ended up with the holes about a quarter inch too big so I just ran a bead of silicone, if it works great, if it doesn't I guess I'm moving up to the next size bulkhead!

Finally, and I guess it should've been first but meh, a quick shot of the fancy clamps I used to glue the overflow together. I think without those right angles it would've looked like a drunken nun had tried to put it together for me!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 AM

Just a caution about the wave box... you should make sure the table is sturdy